This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As a woman, especially in college, there is nothing like the feeling of having a strong foundation of girls in your circle that you know will be there for you through thick and thin. Although I’ve had many other friendships, the ones with my girls feel so special. I’ve been blessed enough to have met my best friends in high school and I know in my heart our bond will last for a lifetime. 

Having female friendships can add an unparalleled sense of camaraderie and belonging for women. While male friendships are often more independent and likely not to share too many feelings, women are more likely to lean on each other for support or advice, working as a team and fostering a sense of unity. It’s also very easy to befriend other girls, especially in public settings or places like college, because of this aspect. My guy friends often tell me that, especially in college, it seems easier for girls to compliment one another and befriend a stranger. It’s a more emotional and discerning environment. 

Female friendships also incorporate a physical touch aspect. Women frequently engage in hugging, holding hands, and just being very physically close to one another. This contrasts with guys who might high-five, fist bump, or horse around. This type of closeness among girls creates a more intimate environment while also deepening their emotional bonds and strengthening their connections. 

Being friends with other women also has a uniquely strong emotional support factor that can make you feel very safe. It’s a nurturing and empathetic environment that makes everyone feel profoundly understood. Women talk more and share information a lot more than men do. They share their innermost thoughts and experiences down to the smallest detail, which differs from any other surface-level conversation. I’ve had some of the most comforting and vulnerable conversations with my friends that I just can’t experience with anyone else in my life. We know things about one another that no one else does. Girls can empathize with each other on things that many others don’t understand. It’s important to have people around you that you can tell anything to. 

Female friendships are a crucial part of a woman’s life journey. They cherish genuine connections and can be a safe, empathetic, environment. Girls are easy to become friends with and be close with–physically and emotionally, and they have a very strong emotional support factor. I will always be able to call any of my girlfriends and talk to them about anything, whether it’s a catch-up on life, a deep conversation, or something as simple as what I ate for lunch today. Those girls have had my back through thick and thin, and I know in my heart they will for much much longer! The feeling of security and love for them is something that will never change. It’s something that I pray all women get to experience. 

Paris is a freshman writer at Grand Canyon University studying communications and film, interested in pursuing a writing career within the entertainment industry. She loves anything related to the movie world and pop culture. Outside of that, her free time consists of reading, curating her playlists, or binging Glee with her roommate.