This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

An insight into what first-generation students undergo to navigate their college journey.

The Insight

To this present day, about half of all college students are the first in their families to attend college. About one in three first-generation students end up leaving college within their first three years of school. This is due to the numerous challenges they face. These obstacles consist of: a lack of knowledge about the college experience, being stressed about finances, guilt for leaving home, lack of support from family, and the fear of not fitting in.

lack of knowledge of the College experience

First-generation college students don’t have the luxury of knowing about the college experience. It’s also likely that they aren’t aware of college resources like healthcare, work-study opportunities, internships, having a mentor, or even counseling. Most don’t even know the process of leaving home or living in a dorm. They aren’t able to hear personal accounts or have any guidance from family members, as other students often can.

The financial concern

Some first-gen students may come from low-income houeholds. In order to meet their financial obligations, they may need to take out larger loans, more scholarships and grants, or take on a job. This extra concern may make it harder to focus solely on their coursework and can contribute to higher stress levels. There are many ways that this financial burden can make first-gen, low-income students end up left out of the college experience since most activities regarding campus social life often have a cost in order to participate.

The feeling of Guilt

Leaving your family behind to go to college isn’t easy for any student. However, it can affect first-gen students so much more due to the fact that most have always had to deal with other responsibilities at home. Some students may have always felt that they were the support system in the family and feel that leaving them is selfish. They may even feel bad that they had the opportunity to continue their education while other family members didn’t. Usually, most first-gen students feel as if they are rejecting their past and community by leaving home.

Social Isolation

A common concern amongst first-gen college students is the feeling of not being able to fit in. Many struggle with feeling insecure and scared about being accepted which could result in social isolation. There are fewer available financial resources that may also limit their ability to participate in on-campus-based social events and other academic opportunities. Those who are a part of racial and ethnic minority groups may also face the feelings of loneliness, alienization, and isolation. Minorities make up more than one-third of first-generation students. Alongside other challenges, they also have to overcome racial disparities and discrimination. They could even become targets of prejudice in reference to both their minority status and their lower socio-economic status. These experinces could also negatively impact their mental health as well as their academic performance.

Understanding First-Gens

Although there are now many more opportunities and support for first-generation college students, the challenges that come along with it shouldn’t be ignored. Awareness about these struggles will help make the college experience easier to process. First-generation college students should also remember that they overcame a multitude of social, economic, and academic barriers just to get into college. It was the result of hard work, resilience, and emotional strength.

Hi! My name is Orianna Morales and I am originally from Bakersfield, CA. I attend GCU and I'm majoring in Government with an emphasis in legal studies to become a civil rights lawyer in the future. I'm also on the club wrestling team at GCU. Two fun facts about me are that I LOVE elephants & music!