This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

2023 was a year full of amazing memories, experiences, moments, and many spectacular books. This includes new releases from authors, continuations of series, and new book characters, plot lines, magical realms, and stories that we fell in love with over the year. I read 30 books in 2023. Some were great, but I thought others were less than great. Despite our one-star reads, the past year was filled with so many amazing books that will never be forgotten. Here are some of my most notable reads of the year and why you should read them too.

happy place by Emily henry

Happy Place took the world by storm with its release date on April 25, 2023. Emily Henry fans and book lovers were anticipating reading her newest romance book. Henry is known for creating the most perfect romances and plotlines in her books. From stories like Beach Read and People We Meet on Vacation, fans are captivated by her writing. What fans did not expect from this book was how different it was from the rest of her writings. The story was still a romance, but felt almost like a literary fiction. It covered topics like growing up after college, maintaining friendships, and navigating relationships. This book is a must-read!

Divine rivals by Rebecca ross

Divine Rivals is a young adult fantasy romance, with romance being one of the main plot lines. This book follows two characters who are journalistic rivals in this modern fantasy set in New York City. The book will leave you wanting more of its beautifully written dialogue following the characters’ journeys of overcoming their hardships and learning to trust one another. Because this book is in the young adult genre, its fantasy themes are easy to follow; it has little world-building and easy-to-grasp storylines. This was a very popular book that was talked about widely. It is ranked as a favorite by many people in the book community. Her second book in the series, Ruthless Vows, just came out, which means now is a great time to pick up Divine Rivals!

fourth wing by Rebecca yarros

If you are a fan of books, you have probably heard about Fourth Wing. This book came out on May 2, 2023, and I have not stopped hearing about it since. Yarros is known for writing romance books, with beloved favorites like The Last Letter and The Things We Leave Unfinished. Many people were shocked that she was dipping her toes into the fantasy genre. The shock was soon replaced by love toward the characters and story in Fourth Wing. The book follows Violet as she navigates her way towards Dragon College where the training is highly competitive and sometimes deadly. There is also a subplot of romance. Although the book is lengthy, it is very captivating and will leave you wanting to read more. This was a top fantasy book of the year and is highly recommended.

If you did not have the chance to read these books in 2023, these are amazing recommendations of books for you to add to your 2024 TBR. Here’s to another great year of reading and hopefully many more beloved favorites!

Audrey Guy is a student at GCU majoring in Business Marketing and Advertising. When she is not in class or writing HerCampus articles you can find her in the gym while listening to Emma Chamberlains podcast, Rewatching Gilmore Girls, drinking a Chai Latte, or listening to Taylor Swift. Audrey loves writing about lifestyle, fashion, music, beauty, and more!