This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

If you are reading this article, you most likely know what the “No Contact Rule” is. However, if you are curious, the no-contact rule is a principle that exes – or couples on a break – don’t contact each other to get their relationship/themselves back.

A Bolde article states, “As the name suggests, the rule means that you don’t have any contact with your ex. You delete their number, unfollow them from social media, and simply remove them from your life. The thinking behind the rule is that it’s easier to move on when you aren’t tempted to contact them at all. It follows the logic of ‘out of sight, out of mind’”.

This can be a challenging event to overcome. Many individuals are tempted to reach out, argue, or beg for their relationship to return to the way it was. It is wise to stay strong and follow this rule to grow as an individual. Here are five things that you can do while going no-contact:

Focus on Self-Care

During a break or breakup, focusing on self-care becomes key as it acts as a lifeline for emotional healing and personal progress. It’s a time to prioritize yourself and nurture your emotional wounds with compassion and kindness. Engaging in a skincare routine not only brings physical benefits but also brings a sense of control and a boost of self-esteem.

Regular exercise can help release endorphins, reducing stress and anxiety while concurrently enhancing an individual’s confidence. Focusing on mental health through therapy or self-reflection supports the understanding of complex emotions, encouraging resilience, and building a sturdier emotional basis.

Also, embarking on a spiritual journey can provide relief and perspective, therefore helping to find sense in the pain and manage the way toward a brighter future. These practices can empower you to emerge from a breakup or break stronger, wiser, and more in tune with your true self.

Get to Know Yourself

Amongst the commotion of a breakup, there’s a weighty importance in taking the time to get reacquainted with yourself. This meditative journey not only helps in healing but also leads to self-discovery and personal growth. Understanding your own likes, dislikes, and passions can be liberating, as it rekindles a sense of individuality and self-worth.

Examining any bad habits that may have been unintentionally cultivated during the relationship offers an opening for self-improvement and personal evolution. Reflecting on how you may have lost yourself in the relationship can be a powerful lesson, helping avoid similar snags in the future.

This process of rediscovery paves the way to return to your authentic self that existed before the relationship, permitting personal rebirth and a stronger foundation for future connections.

Pick up a Hobby or Learn a Skill

Engaging in a hobby or learning a new skill during a breakup can be a healing and transformative experience. It serves as a productive way to focus the energy and emotions that may be challenging at times. By immersing yourself in a hobby or skill, you can redirect your focus and revive a sense of purpose.

Finding a hobby that genuinely brings joy can be therapeutic, offering a comfortable distraction from the pain of a breakup. As an added bonus, some of these skills can be applied to earn a profit or build connections in the future.

Whether it’s painting, cooking, playing a musical instrument, or exploring a new craft, these activities assist in personal development and open doors to potential career opportunities and meaningful relationships.

Build Strong Friendships

Building stronger friendships can be a vital source of support and healing. Redirecting the energy that was once invested in your romantic relationship toward your friends can lead to a deeper appreciation for those connections. Engaging in social events and parties, or even simply inviting friends over for a night in, can provide a much-needed pick-me-up in the midst of the pain and loneliness.

Including friends in your hobbies or self-care journey reinforces bonds and introduces new experiences and perspectives. Friends can serve as a crucial emotional anchor by offering a sense of belonging and reassurance.

In essence, nurturing these friendships not only helps in healing but also reminds you that love and support come in various forms, guiding you through the course of recovery.

Explore Your Environment

Exploring your environment during a breakup holds a vast significance as it offers an invigorating escape from emotional chaos. Finding places in your area that you’ve never been to can rekindle a sense of adventure and curiosity. This can help to shift your focus away from the pain of the breakup and onto your future.

Trying new food places adds a delightful dimension to this exploration by stimulating the senses and creating pleasant memories. Seeking out small businesses can support the local community while also providing a sense of connection and freshness.

These activities can serve as a much-needed distraction, boost your mood, and help rediscover the beauty and richness of the world outside of the relationship, reminding you that life goes on and new experiences await.

Grand Canyon University General Engineering Major & Herzing University Alumni