This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As you may now know, we are coming around the corner of summer 2021! This year has truly been such an experience and some may say more harm than good has been done. Going through so much as a society, it would be nice to have a summer of smooth sailing and time off. 

Unfortunately, not all of us have the same plan. Knowing we cannot predict the future, it is great to have a game plan in place. Maybe even a plan B. Some have more responsibilities and some less. Some students have savings, whereas others may have to work. Some stay home, while others travel the world. Do not plan your break based on other people’s lives, sculpt the best break for you. 

What will set you up for the best path for your future? How can you prepare your studies and education? Is leisure time more important than hard work? For some, that genuinely may be the case. 

Making a bucket list is a blast, however try making a list of goals for yourself too. A goal could be as small as making your bed every day, starting a healthy financial plan, or even taking an online class. 

Woman with planner
Photo by Paico Official from Unsplash

Having FOMO while planning for your break is completely normal, and probably something your peers are facing as well. Do not let it control you! Take a hold of your situation, your setbacks, or even your emotions from the last season of life and make it the best summer break yet. Work yourself hard, while having the time of your life. Give yourself credit for the little wins. Do things, you can not necessarily do during the school year. Plan for the next semester and get ahead on your life. 

It is a lot easier to focus on others than it is to attack the things right in front of you, that’s human nature! Cindy Brody, PHD says, “It’s hard to carve out space to focus on yourself.” Make sure you are in a healthy environment. This is such a big key factor to one’s mental health. This is clinically proven in a classroom as well. One in an unhealthy relationship or environment has an extremely different experience compared to those who come from a safe and attainable atmosphere. In summary, your mental health, environment and personal goals should completely overpower the fear you may have of missing out on your life. Your life is in your hands, and Gods. Bettering yourself and your future could look totally different for two different students- do not beat yourself up if your path does not look like someone else’s. 

Make sure to have a blast while planning your summer 2021. We have been through too much this year to let it be lousy. Enjoy the little things, take a hold of the mundane tasks, and plan for your next years of college. This is the most spectacular time of our lives, as we are too young to let anything else get in the way!

Hi! My name is Savanna Kerr. I was born in Hawaii/grew up in Seattle. I attend GCU and I am studying professional writing and psychology. I was previously a journalist and eventually head editor for my school newspaper in high school called The Kolus. I am looking forward to being on this team!