This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

If you grew up having an expanding family, you know what it’s like to live with people! If you grew up as an only child, this is a new world for you! For most of us, living with people may be a necessity and even a lifestyle going into marriage. There are good fits and bad fits, and sometimes choosing that may be unavoidable. The reality of the situation results in not always living with people you love!

If you are entering college and living with 1-2 girls in the same room as you, you may be completely overwhelmed. Did you get placed with a new set of girls this year? This goes for boys too! There are ways you can get through it! Spend your time outside of your room, make a list of chores to split up and keep groceries divided. Making sure there is an equal level of respect amongst the people you live with is so important for everyone involved.

There are so many fun things that you can do with the people you live with, without it feeling forced. Making sure everyone is intentional is one way to secure relationships. Writing notes, sending texts and making sure you are always replacing the last toilet paper roll will get you a long way.

Communication is also a huge part of successful relationships. We are always taught to use our words and update the people around us, but making sure you communicate about heavy topics or even who fills the soap up next goes a long way. Making lists and writing notes come specifically in hand here. If you have the resources to be generous in your room, it never goes unseen. You can never say thank you enough! This doesn’t have to be crazy shopping sprees, but taking initiative. 

The truth is, we aren’t always around our favorite people. We will always be surrounded by challenges and obstacles…(well, most of the time.) Perhaps it’s in school, our living situations or even our jobs. Make sure that even though you don’t have to be best friends with the people in your room, they know you respect them. 

Learning to be mutual with the people around you will go the longest way. We all yearn for respect and kindness even if some of us don’t want to admit it. 

It’s amazing how someone can open up to you, and how much you actually end up relating to the people around you. 

Some believe that everything happens for a reason, meaning you are placed in people’s lives for a reason. We are here to evidently encourage and lift people up. To teach people and understand each other. Although it may feel like some of us are extremely far apart, we are really all here for the same purpose.

If you are struggling with your roommate, a colleague or even a family member, make sure to check your heart, and consider what someone may be going through! 

Hi! My name is Savanna Kerr. I was born in Hawaii/grew up in Seattle. I attend GCU and I am studying professional writing and psychology. I was previously a journalist and eventually head editor for my school newspaper in high school called The Kolus. I am looking forward to being on this team!