This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As the semester continues to go, so does the stress from our rigorous courses. Because of that, I took it upon myself to take a spontaneous trip home. My roommate who is from Hawaii had never been to California looked at FlixBus tickets with me. We both decided to surprise my family and pay them a visit since the two of us had the day off from work, and no assignments due for once, it was just the perfect idea and opportunity! 

So, on Saturday night we packed our bags like we were going to stay for a week, lowkey wishing and hoping we actually were, and headed out to Los Angeles, California from Phoenix, Arizona. The bus arrived in LA a little after 5 a.m., and from there we went straight to my house. 

I swear I had never been so excited in my entire life. This year has been so stressful, and I wanted nothing more than to see my family’s faces. They are my peace, and happy place. 

The clock read 5:45 a.m., and my roommate and I are at the front door in our pajamas, with all our bags and happiness. I called my mom, who did not answer. So, I called my dad, and as I was calling my dad my mom called me back. Her first words were filled with concern since I was calling at the butt crack of dawn, and she asked “what happened?” I replied saying, “oh nothing, can you open the door for me please?” She said “HUH, like the front door?!” and I replied “yes.” 

My mom opened the door, and I could just feel the love from the inside of our house rush over me. I was finally home. She asked me what happened, and my reason for coming come, since it was just so random and sudden. I told her “no reason, I just wanted to come home.” From the second we walked in the door our day started. We just talked, laughed, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t take an hour nap. But I woke up to the best smell, my mom’s cooking. She walked to the grocery store up the street just so she could make us a home cooked meal.

After hearing it was my roommates first time in California, my parents decided to make a day out of it, since a day was all we unfortunately had. We hopped in the car and headed over to Hollywood, and when we got there we walked up and down the main street that has all the celebrity stars. It was empty since it was so early in the morning, which made it perfect. We were all able to take our time, and just cruise down the infamous Hollywood boulevard. Then, we took an escalator up to an area that gave us a beautiful view of the Hollywood sign, and instantly we became tourists. Taking pictures of and with the sign like they were taking it down the next day. Then, we headed back downstairs, and were on our way to our next destination on this express LA trip, the Griffith Observatory, where we were able to get a view of all of Los Angeles. 

Driving down the hill that the Observatory is on, we headed towards City Walk, where Universal Studios is located. There, we walked around, looked at the elaborate candy shops, and went inside the Harry Potter store that replicated certain scenes in the movie series. It was so much fun, but you already know my parents saved the best place for last! From City Walk we were on our way to Olvera Street. 

I have been here many times, but since I had been away from home for a couple months, it hit differently. I felt in my element. There was a female mariachi band performing, as well as a display of the alters for Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). My roommate was absolutely mesmerized by the culture and the love that Olvera Street has. She said “Oh my goodness, it’s Coco in real life.” We continued to walk around and look at the alters, and admire the artistry of each one as well as pay our respects for the loved ones whose honor and spirit was being remembered. After, we walked around the rest of Olvera Streets, and into all the little shops that sell every little nick knack you could imagine, to the most beautifully embroidered traditional Mexican attire. 

As you could imagine, all this walking, and exploring of Los Angeles got us hungry. So, we stopped to eat at a restaurant on Olvera Street where we ate fresh chips and salsa, which was heaven sent considering I was settling for the knock offs my school sells. I also devoured my plate of enchiladas, and happiness as well as my stomach was at a maximum capacity. I could still hear the mariachis in the distance, and I grew sad knowing our day with my family was coming to an end, since we had to catch the bus back to school in a little over an hour. We finished our meals, and walked around a little more. 

Since the weather was incredibly chilly, my mother, being the mom she is would not allow me to have a cold ride back to Arizona. My parents had got me a woven blanket from one of the vendors on Olvera Street so I could of course be warm, but so I could also have a little piece of home with me wherever I go. Best believe I rode the whole bus ride back to Arizona wrapped up like a burrito in my blanket missing home the second we hit the road, already looking forward to going back. 

By taking a spontaneous trip home it taught me to take every opportunity I have in front of me. I had the chance to go home, having no assignments or work, and because we seized this moment, as we should every moment, my roommate and I were able to have the most beautiful, stress free day with my family that was full of adventure and laughter. On top of that we had come cooked meal, which we as college students know is hard to come around.

My name is Brianna, I am from East Los Angeles, California, and am currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Government with an Emphasis in Legal Studies at GCU! I also work as a sushi waitress. I love running, fashion, and binge-watching shows.