Culture > News

Should You Be Concerned About the Novel Coronavirus Outbreak?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The Next Pandemic May Be Closer Than You Think

The 2019 coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has well been underway with its first outbreak detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Chinese World Health Organization Officials have now reported 4,500 confirmed coronavirus cases alone in the outskirts of Hubei Province and 107 deaths. As a result of the rapid-evolving nature of an outbreak, there are now a total of 110 2019-nCoV People Under Investigation (PUIs) in the United States as of January 27th, 2020. The bad news is that Arizona is one of the four confirmed coronavirus states with one known case of nCoV. The good news is that the CDC affirms that its risk of contracting this novel virus in the country is fairly low, but it is still imperative to pursue necessary health precautions to avoid serious repercussions.

What Is the Coronavirus and How Does it Spread?

Coronaviruses belong to a rather large family of viruses including Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) and Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Because the novel coronavirus is a respiratory disease, it is fully capable of spreading from human-to-human contact. There are different types of human coronaviruses such as 229E, NL63, and HKU1 as discovered from current lab research. Respiratory viruses are some of the most contagious illnesses because one could easily contract such virus by simply inhaling infected aqueous material. Since the 2019-nCoV is still in its premature phases, the CDC and epidemiologists still have a lot to learn about the specific provenance in which this disease emerged. Chinese authorities imply that the coronavirus perhaps originated from the substantial animal, notably seafood market and gradually progressed to an outbreak. Given that the previous coronaviruses of MERS and SARS both were animal-derived, it is likely that the same is true for the 2019-nCoV. 

Coronavirus Symptomatology

Both the CDC and World Health Organization (WHO) postulate that respiratory illness can look slightly different from person-to-person however, novel coronavirus symptoms are quite universal. These include but are not limited to runny nose, headache, cough, sore threat, high fever, and shortness of breath. Like any influenza, symptoms can manifest differently in anyone who contracts this virus because of differing biological antibody infrastructure. The estimated incubation period of the 2019-nCoV illness can be anywhere from forty-eight hours to fourteen days after initial exposure, experts claim. 

Prevention 

Considering there is no vaccine for the novel coronavirus, the CDC and healthcare providers strongly suggest washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands, and avoid close contact with people who are sick to reduce the risk of infection. It is also recommended that surfaces such as laptops, door- knobs or handles, and cell phones be cleaned thoroughly and regularly as these as places with high-bacteria content. If you suspect exhibition of coronavirus symptoms be sure to contact your doctor. The CDC is closely monitoring the 2019-nCoV illness in the United States but is still unsure where this disease will go and how much damage it will do along the way, regardless fingers are crossed that the next pandemic won’t be on the horizon. 

References:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/health/coronavirus-in-the-us-what-we-know

A sophomore Communications major at GCU who is passionate about Jesus, writing, watching Netflix, and taking long walks to the campus Chick-Fil-A.