This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The unexpected news hit earlier this year, Prince Harry and Meghan announced that they would be taking a break from Buckingham Palace and moving back to North America to spend some time away from their royalty callings. Now just a couple days ago, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have officially announced their royal exit. Starting April 1st, they will no longer hold office in Buckingham Palace.

The Duke and Duchess announced that they will still be involved in royal matters including meetings and nonprofits concerning the royal family within the upcoming 12 months, but will be stepping down from their official role. The term “royal” is still being tossed around if they will still be included in that or not. Their goal according to the Sussex Royal Instagram account is to establish their focus on nonprofit charity work, to build a financial independence for themselves, and continue to work alongside the Queen in an unconventional and progressive role.

They have been so authentic with how difficult it is to live in the public and royal world and how that takes a toll on them. A teary-eyed video of Meghan circled the Internet as she shared her struggles with pregnancy and with being in the public eye. This heartbreaking video shows how hard it can be to constantly be criticized and judged in a royal position. According to the National Enquirer, when asking Meghan about her overall health and how she is doing, she replied, “Any woman, especially when they’re pregnant, you’re really vulnerable, and so that was made really challenging. And then when you have a newborn, you know. And especially as a woman, it’s a lot. So, you add this on top of just trying to be a new mom or trying to be a newlywed.”

Walking into a Royal family has got to be a challenge. While the glamorous life seems so thrilling and carefree, there is so much more that goes on behind the scenes. With some of the biggest life changes like getting married and having children, imagine being so centered in the media and in such an important role, while trying to navigate it all!  As the Royal family makes their exit, there are so many things to remember in times like these. Always be kind to one another, and especially to people we do not know. We never know what someone is going through and what they are experiencing in their life. The grass is always greener and you truly do not know what someone is experiencing unless you have walked through it yourself.

There is so much to consider when thinking about the Royal family and their exit, but overall, remember to never judge someone for where they are at. Royal or not, someone is walking a path that you may not know the full story to. The voices of others can be really powerful and recognizing the importance of empathy is crucial in these scenarios. From a Harry and Meghan fan, I will miss them and wish them the very best in their lives.

Hannah Clift

Arizona '20

Hi my name is Hannah! I am from Sacramento, California, and currently attend GCU to study Communications with a minor in Professional Writing. In my free time, I love to be with my dog JoJo, play guitar, read, and bake. I love to write about motivational and self-wellness topics! I am a senior this year and look forward to graduating and moving back to California!