Small Pumpkin In Hand
Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Romanticizing Fall and the Colder Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

There is such a huge stigma when it comes to romanticizing people and how it can be an unrewarding experience on both sides. When considering recent social media posts from influencers that speak about their relationships, it’s been hard to see when romanticizing can be a good thing. Even though romanticizing your friends or your partner can distort your view of them as humans, romanticizing your life and the things you love to do can actually be rewarding. Now that the weather is beginning to cool down and you can spot people walking around wearing hoodies, it’s the perfect time to start making the most out of the holiday season. There are several fall-related activities you can participate in that will help you fall in love with the changing weather rather than fall into a seasonal depression.

Autumn treats

You may have already started to notice pumpkin and maple-flavored foods in just about every grocery store and restaurant. Whether it’s the pumpkin scones at Starbucks or the butternut squash mac and cheese from Trader Joe’s, there are fall foods for any type of mood. Here’s a list of some easily accessible autumn treats you can try for yourself:

• Jamba Juice: Pumpkin smash smoothie
  • Dunkin Donuts: Pumpkin donuts and donut holes
  • Starbucks: Pumpkin spice latte or cold brew + pumpkin scone
  • Trader Joe’s: Butternut squash mac and cheese, maple and sea salt kettle corn, pumpkin spice hummus, pumpkin bagels, and pumpkin oat beverage
  • Chick-fil-A: Autumn spice milkshake
  • Del Taco: Carmel Apple Shake

To make these fall foods fit into your social life, you can also bake cookies and other assorted fall-themed goodies with your friends and family. Some of the best options could be apple/pumpkin pie, apple fritters, and classic chocolate chip brownies.

Fun activities

There are many exciting things you can do this fall that don’t have to be expensive. Taking time out of your day to relax and enjoy the warmth of a blanket or hang out with your favorite people can be beneficial to your mental health. Rather than staying locked up in your room, you can reenergize yourself by doing new things and meeting new people, or even participating in comforting activities with the people you love. Making the most out of sweater weather and romanticizing all the fun things there are to do is what creates the best memories. Here are some things you can do this fall:

• Watch a scary or classic Halloween movie
  • Go to your local pumpkin patch
  • Shop at a farmer’s market
  • Buy new/thrifted sweatshirts and create cozy outfits
  • Bake cookies with friends
  • Go to a bookstore and grab a coffee or hot cider
  • Take long walks outside and enjoy the fall foliage
  • Decorate your room/living space with fall decorations (the dollar store has some good ones)

fall fashion

What you wear can really determine whether you are comfortable and warm in the upcoming dropping temperatures. Especially in warmer areas, it can be difficult to pair together pieces that fit your style while still keeping you warm because not many people own a lot of thicker clothes or know how to effectively layer. Here are some helpful basics you can purchase for your wardrobe that mix and match well to create a multitude of trendy outfits.

• A staple white or black long sleeve/turtleneck can pair with any coat or can go under shirts or sweaters to create a layered look.
  • Owning a pair each of light wash, dark wash, and black jeans can come in handy for outfits with different color pallets.
  • Having at least one beanie can help a lot when partaking in outdoor activities (and they’re super cozy).
  • Stockpile your favorite hoodies and sweaters in colors and designs that you love so you can be comfortable in class, at work, studying, or while watching your favorite films.
  • It never hurts to invest in a pair of good boots since these can be worn with practically any fall outfit.

Fall fashion is all about wearing what makes you feel happy and warm at the same time. It’s important to express yourself in the way you like, and feeling confident in what you wear this fall can play a big role in helping you romanticize this time of year.

final thoughts

Adjusting to the changes that happen in the fall such as school schedules can be difficult. Once the workload piles on, it’s hard not to feel overwhelmed by all that is expected of you. Even though there are things that can hold you back, you don’t have to let them control you. Taking just 30 minutes out of your day to do something fun can readjust your focus to the lighter things in life and give you the energy to keep working hard and avoid burnout. Romanticizing your fall adventures can create excitement for not just you but also the other people around you that could also be in a slump. Make sure to prioritize yourself this fall and find joy in all the little things there are to experience.

Hello! I'm a GCU sophomore majoring in digital film production and minoring in advertising and graphic design. I absolutely love to do anything creative and spend time with my dogs.