Reasons Why You Should Support Small Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Since the pandemic started, shopping has been limited. Many businesses had to close down their shops, limit customers, or have a smaller team to help the business run during a pandemic. Small business owners have been hit especially hard by the measures and government rules to keep people safe during this time. As a community we can support small businesses to help them thrive during this time and to help them shine. 

Small businesses make a positive impact on the local community. Spending just one dollar at local business will go back into your community to assist local development to improve your community. Shopping at a small business also helps to build personal relationships making it a better experience overall. The global pandemic and the massive spread of the Coronavirus has definitely affected the community around us; however, we have the choice of where to spend our money and choosing to help keep a small business afloat and giving them a chance to fight is the better choice. Growing companies continue to prevent other small businesses from thriving. 

Another reason to support small is because they put their customers first. Larger brands are not as big on intimacy and personalized care as a small business owner would be. Without the layers of management and corporate policy, a small business owner can make their own rules and build that close relationship with their customer. Small business owners bend over backwards for their customers to make sure they have a great experience to ensure that when they need something they will choose to come back to them. Every customer matters when you’re small. Small businesses also shine in diversity and uniqueness. 

Also, independent businesses have their own take on their products or merchandise, which brings originality and variety into the consumer world. With bigger companies or corporations, everything has become homogenized. Most of these businesses are also run by individuals where you can get a different kind of care and quality in their product versus a board or algorithms where there is no thought or that personal touch. Instead of focusing on how they can get more money, small business owners focus on how their products can have better quality and how they can be the very best they can be. 

Local and small businesses work together with other small businesses which helps them support each other hand in hand. This also creates more opportunities for one another. A small business also does not use as many resources as a big corporation would, therefore taking care of the planet. They also do not use manufacturing companies producing less pollution and unnecessary amounts of waste. Independent businesses like to give back to their community and some even donate money to non-profits or even other small businesses or small business owners. 

person holding a sign that says "planet over profit"
Photo by Markus Spiske from Unsplash
When deciding to shop, look around or search online for local, independent, small businesses to support. You can see what they have to offer and may even discover some great, unique products along with having a great experience. You are also helping to build a strong and successful community around you. 

Lopes Up! Spread kindness wherever you go Instagram: bihsierraaa