This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Learning to love yourself also comes with the discipline of protecting your peace. Protecting your peace is a fancier term for setting boundaries for yourself. Protecting your peace can be very beneficial to your mental health and your well-being.

Protecting your peace allows for growth to take place because it results in a healthier mindset. It gives space for privacy and adds pockets of joy to your life. The moments you choose to be selfish with yourself are the times you can flourish. Peace is the calmness and freedom that comes from having no disruptions or disturbances.

We allow ourselves to feel what we want to, so we need to be careful of what we take in. Whether it be the music we listen to, the conversations we have, our peers’ emotions, or the personal things we choose to share about ourselves, protecting your peace includes protecting what comes into and out of your mind.

The best way to protect your peace is to move in silence. Moving in silence is allowing yourself to break down and build up in private. When it comes to peace, you have to allow yourself the space to heal and succeed in silence because not everyone will be supporting in your journey to success. Moving in silence can also be depicted as isolation, but do not get the two mixed up. Silence is setting an invisible boundary with others and being cautious when choosing who you celebrate your accomplishments with and who you are vulnerable with.

When it comes to protecting your peace, it is important to stop having conversations or thoughts about trying to fix your past. The past is called the past for a reason. You disturb your growth and peace when you allow yourself to be brought down by things that are no longer in your control. You can only go up from here, so take your past doings as a lesson and do better in the future.

Social media can have negative effects on your peace by detreating your well-being and can lead to harmful comparisons of yourself to others. Social media makes you feel like you need to be somewhere, be doing something, or being a certain way at a certain time. It also makes you feel like you need to have or experience certain things or look a certain way to please society. Comparison leads to insecurity and doubtful thoughts making you question if you’re on the right path. You are on your own journey in your own timeframe, so experience the things you want to at the pace that is right for you.

Loving yourself also means being selfish with yourself, so protect that peace within you. Protect your mind and your thoughts from doubt and comparison. Protect your ears from conversations that are not building you up or pouring life into you or others. Stay away from gossip. Steer clear of trying to fix things that are out of your control. Stop pleasing society and its trends. Learn to stay true to yourself and to find comfort within your own space.

Move in silence. Protect your peace.