This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

I would have never believed you if you told me that a worldwide pandemic would take place during my senior year of college. This time has been extremely heartbreaking for so many people, and is a moment in history that the world will never forget. In spite of the anxiety and unknown moments that fill our days, I still believe that there can always be positives to remember. During such an overwhelming time, there is always a good moment somewhere. Here are some positive stories to brighten your mood during this time. 

Italy Sings

While the entire country of Italy is on quarantine lockdown, people took light of their lonely situations and began to sing from their balconies. People all joined together in song and made community within their homes, while also social distancing. The videos and photos of Italians singing together is an inspiring moment to remember that there are still ways we can bring joy to others from a safe distance.

Elderly Hours

COVID-19 is proven to be affecting elderly people and those with compromised immune systems. Because of this, elderly people are scared to leave their homes and buy groceries. Many grocery stores have provided certain hours of the day that are reserved for elderly people only, so they can do their shopping in peace and not have to worry about crowds and panic buying.

shopping cart
Bruno Kelzer
China has closed their COVID-19 quarantine hospitals. 

There have been dramatic improvements in China within the last week. All of their quarantine hospitals have closed and businesses and schools have opened up again! They built makeshift “hospitals” during the worst of the coronavirus in Wuhan when they were running out of space in their hospitals, and now they are officially closed. This gives us a light at the end of the tunnel, that there is hope and an ending in this scary situation that we are all facing.

Doctor's stethoscope
Photo by Hush Naidoo on Unsplash
Celebrities and Athletes Give Back

During this time, so many people are out of jobs and many are suffering financially. There have been many celebrities and athletes who have stepped up to the plate to help and serve those around them. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds gave 1 million dollars to Feeding America and Food Banks Canada. Ciara and Russell Wilson donated 1 million meals to Feeding America. Freddie Freeman donated 150,000 dollars to the Giving Kitchen and Salvation Army. JJ Watt has donated 350,000 to Houston Food Kitchen and so many more influential people who are helping their communities!

Less Pollution and More Awareness

In just the two months of the strict quarantine policy, the pollution in China has decreased significantly. Since people are not working, factories and warehouses are not being used which has decreased the air pollution greatly. In just 2 months, the pollution levels have decreased so much that it has likely saved the lives of 4,000 children. (dailymail.uk, 2020) Global air pollution has extremely dangerous side effects and the coronavirus has brought great awareness to the pollution issue.

While this is a scary and sad time for so many, there can still be hope. Despite the unknown, there are things that we can look forward to. As we have seen, China is recovering and is moving on from this frightening time. Continue to see the light in the comfort of your home. Be happy, safe and far away from people! We can overcome this together and remember the positive moments!

Hannah Clift

Arizona '20

Hi my name is Hannah! I am from Sacramento, California, and currently attend GCU to study Communications with a minor in Professional Writing. In my free time, I love to be with my dog JoJo, play guitar, read, and bake. I love to write about motivational and self-wellness topics! I am a senior this year and look forward to graduating and moving back to California!