This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

What seemed to be an endless summer of political unrest has now seemed to die down as Biden has taken office. This is definitely satisfying, however, in reality, this is the peace we should have felt throughout the whole election. This is the rest we should have experienced during the process of the presidential elections in the past. Even through storms and conflict, there is an importance in being mindful of the way we treat others. 

We cannot always agree, but we can certainly agree to disagree. In reality, political warfare should be on the same playing ground as any other debate. When you see things from a calm, caring and humane perspective, there is no abusive, overlooking and extremist point of view on what is wrong and what is right. We as believers, or non-believers, are called to treat one another with respect and dignity! 

To put aside wild remarks, disagreements, and uncertainties. We can’t aim for perfection but we can certainly aim for better. There is nothing we gain from fighting. We gain so much more from perseverance, perspective and properly hearing our peers out. Beliefs and opinions root from a deep and intentional place. Not one opinion is better than another, and this is necessary to remember when your loved ones have differing views.

We need to do a better job of understanding, listening, and choosing to be wise and humble when listening to the opinions around us. There is no perfect way to go about political injustice, however, I would say remembering who our audience is and who is in charge is vital.

Photo by Canva Studio from Pexels

Ask yourself…is this post, comment, or sly look aligning with who I want to represent? Possibly it represents your party, but it is our job to refrain from hate, gain self-control and reflect light! 

How can you work on your personal political plan? What motivates you to be a kinder human, during governmental war-fare? Truth is, we will probably always face controversy, whether it be widespread or in your tightest circle. Handling people and touchy subjects with grace, sweetness, and certainty in yourself is huge and absolutely necessary for successful relationships and growing in uncomfortable areas!

Learning to be mature, be the bigger person and make a choice to not engage in inappropriate behavior is ultimately the best choice. You can choose the people around you based on similar behavior and beliefs, but being kind and staying firm consistently should always be the ideal action.

Tell your friends and family you love them beyond their belief system, political views, and Facebook posts/polls. Love and kindness should and always overwrites all confusion among humans, finances, work, academics, fashion, church, trends…and so on. Be true to yourself, your beliefs, and the person you represent in how you handle political drama and warfare. Making a difference and representing goodness is so important.

Hi! My name is Savanna Kerr. I was born in Hawaii/grew up in Seattle. I attend GCU and I am studying professional writing and psychology. I was previously a journalist and eventually head editor for my school newspaper in high school called The Kolus. I am looking forward to being on this team!