This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

With current events, it is easy to have that “well that is just the way the world is” mindset. It is a way for people to sugar coat situations, and maybe for some, an escape mechanism.

We often underestimate the control we have as individuals. This does not apply to a specific race, gender or age group. This is not only directed at college kids. These thoughts that will be shared will hopefully be something to keep in mind for everyone. 

We have full control over the media we use, the music we listen to, the food we eat, who we hangout with, and energy we decide to take on and consume. From an early age we were taught how to make our own choices and live as individuals.  

Some may disagree, but with free speech and the freedom that is granted to us, it is actually in our own hands. It is not ever easy to make personal choices that look different from society’s mold- what is expected of us. 

It is not ever easy to be bold and strong in your beliefs and it probably will not ever get easier. There is a large amount of stress, either spoken or unspoken, we may put on ourselves to fit or form a certain perfect image. 

Individuality is formed through the everyday choices we make and the things we consume. It is interesting to think that interests and behavior are some of the largest separation factors in socialization. We have the ability to choose the people in our lives, like fruit at the supermarket. 

Here are some tips on how to practice individuality: 

1. Choose the people around you wisely. Be selective in the places you put your energy into as the group around you represent who you are and who you want to become. With this being said, grace should be shown to everyone and should not be discounted. 

2. Face your problems head on! This may sound basic, but it is accurate.

3. Do things that are good for your soul even if they are not typical. 

4. Buy things that bring you interest and match with your beliefs! Books, movies, TV shows…etc. 

5. Listen to music that YOU want to represent. The stuff you feed your ears, has a direct affect on your mood and possibly the choices you make that day.  

record player
    Photo by Victrola Record Players from Unsplash

6. Unsubscribe from toxic media and pictures. This might just be a healthy step on the everlasting journey of taking care of you as well.

7. Don’t take on stuff you cannot handle, and be picky about what you consume! It is the hardest thing, that evidently brings you closer to yourself and what is important. 

Just like finding the perfect diet for your health needs, there is importance in finding the ideal people and hobbies for your mental health needs. Treat yourself! Be kind and gentle to yourself.

Hi! My name is Savanna Kerr. I was born in Hawaii/grew up in Seattle. I attend GCU and I am studying professional writing and psychology. I was previously a journalist and eventually head editor for my school newspaper in high school called The Kolus. I am looking forward to being on this team!