mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

New York Passed New Bill: Abortion Up to Third Trimester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

New York Governor, Andrew Cuomo passed New York’s Reproductive Health Act last Tuesday where abortions can now be performed after 24-weeks of pregnancy. He said that it is “a historic victory” for passing this bill on the 46th anniversary of Roe v. Wade case in 1973. As a result, the Reproductive Health Act (RHA) claims that unlicensed doctors are now granted the permission to conduct abortions and performing procedures up until the birth date of the baby.

This law affirms that abortions are removed from New York’s criminal code where doctors and medical professionals are protected from criminal prosecution. On Wednesday, Cuomo had an interview with WNYC stating, “The old law had criminal penalties. It was written that the doctor or professional could be held criminally liable.”

After the RHA was passed, many advocates cheered for the new bill because it grants protection and a fundamental right for women to make healthcare decisions without being discriminated. Abortions usually occur through the incidents of unplanned pregnancy, partner-related issues, rape, incest, or the health conditions of the baby. However, there was recent data that was published where the majority of Americans stemming from various political parties favor abortion limitations. Breitbart

Prior to the bill being passed, a recent survey was conducted on abortion by the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion and sponsored by the Knights of Columbus fraternal Catholic society. The data reports that, “On a Dec. 4-7 survey of 1,267 adults in the continental U.S. and another of 1,350 adults Jan. 8-10.” The survey concludes that 56 percent of the respondents claimed that abortion is morally wrong, and 40 percent of the respondents said that abortion is a huge factor when it comes to choosing candidates.

With these statistics and recent bill that passed, many are responding to the ethical dilemma abortion raises. Both pro-choice and pro-life supporters are responding to recent polls and petitions to ban the recent bill that passed. The RHA was passed for women to be given full right for their health decisions than a stirring argument.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/health/new-york-abortion-measures-trnd/index.html

https://www.verywellhealth.com/reasons-for-abortion-906589

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/poll-6-in-10-americans-favor-20-week-abortion-ban-34270

Hello! I was born and raised in San Diego, California. I am a junior at Grand Canyon University while majoring in Communications with a double minor in professional writing, and marketing. As a young woman, I am looking forward to making new experiences where I can learn and grow.