This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

So many people get married right away. Whether they be in college, or fresh out of college, everyone is super excited and ready to get started with their life. However, before jumping into a marriage headfirst and essentially blinded by the love, there are a few things to think about.

You can’t marry someone you’ve only known a few months! I know it may seem perfect at the time and you can’t imagine anything going wrong, but unfortunately, stuff happens and the person you thought you were going to marry, the person you were ready to marry, lets you down. It is important to make sure you know the person you are planning on marrying 110% BEFORE you even think about taking those vows!

The real world isn’t like college. In college, you’re in the awkward phase where you’re not a child anymore, but you’re not quite grown up. You might think you know what it entails to be in a committed marriage, but you really don’t. Things may go all smooth and terrific while in college but if you were to marry then, how would they be in a marriage? How would the relationship work in the real world? Some guys can be great boyfriends, but not-so-great husbands, so it’s always important to think about these things.

I think the biggest issue when it comes to getting married so young is not having enough money for day-to-day life. When you are getting married in college or straight out of college, you probably don’t have a ton of savings yet and a big, successful career. Yes, you may have a part-time job, or maybe you just got a full-time job offer, but do you really have enough money to pay for a wedding AND a place to live with your husband? You two will also start having to pay all sorts of insurances. How can you do that when you’re not financially stable yet? Maybe your soon-to-be husband can afford a nice, fancy, ring, but can he afford stability? Maybe your parents are willing to help out a little bit, but if you’re adult enough to get married, you’re adult enough to pay for your own expenses. In addition to having to pay for a wedding, insurance, a place to live, etc., your husband and you probably have tons of students loans waiting for you to start making payments. Wouldn’t you rather pay off your loans faster rather than having the extra wedding expenses to think about? I know I would! When you get married, your debt becomes his debt and his debt becomes yours. Really think about this!

I’m not saying it’s wrong to get married or engaged young, everyone has a different situation, but it’s important to look at the financial situation before jumping into a wedding. It’s okay to be engaged for a bit while saving some money for the upcoming expenses, but you must be financially comfortable.

College grads need to stop wishfully thinking of what they WANT and think more realistically about HOW they are getting there.

A strong believer in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!