Wellness

Making Mornings: 5 Things To Do In Your Morning Routine To Make The Best Of Your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

It has been said time and time again that a healthy morning routine can create a more productive day overall. But with all of the lifestyle fads out there, it can be a bit cumbersome to find the proper routine. A lot of the routines give suggestions that seem preachy and have a know-it-all attitude, with some lists being over 20 steps long! As college students, most of us simply don’t have the time, money, or energy for these over-the-top routines.

So, what makes a good morning routine? It’s much simpler than it’s made out to be. With as few as five simple steps, in no particular order, you can make your day even a little more productive than before.

Take some time for yourself

This can mean many things. Take a long shower and sing at the top of your lungs. Meditate or pray. Pretend to be someone else and act out a scene that you made up in your mind. It’s all about doing what feels good. If having a skin routine feels good, do that. If spending time doing hair and makeup feels good, do that. Starting the day off doing something that feels good will put you in a positive mood for the rest of the day.

Move your body

The mornings can often come with sluggish feelings. The best way to combat those feelings is to get the blood flowing. Moving the body around will not only release endorphins but also energize you for the day ahead, and with energy comes motivation. So, dance to some fun music. Do some simple stretches. Or, a personal favorite of mine is to use the exercise app 7min Workout for simple and quick workouts. I recommend the seven-minute classic for beginners.

Enrich your mind

With the number of mind-numbing media surrounding us in this day and age, it can often lead to brain fog, muddled thoughts, and lower motivation. So instead of scrolling through TikTok for an hour or making another Pinterest board, open up your favorite book and read a few pages. Read a chapter from the Bible. Do some easy homework.  Listen to an educational podcast. Maybe download Duolingo and start learning a language.

Write about something

Writing about something can help focus the mind. It doesn’t have to be something profound either. It can be as simple as a to-do list. Writing about anything can help untangle all of the thoughts that riddle the mind. Write an introspection, a short story, or a poem. I personally have a journaling Bible that I read every morning, write about what I had just read, and ponder the greatness of God. 

Do one chore

It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all of the things that have to be done in life, especially as a college student. A great way to feel more productive is to complete one thing from the list of things to do that day. Starting off with one chore will break the ice and make it easier to continue down the list until it’s finished. A great chore to start off with is making the bed every morning. Not only does it tidy up the living space, but it also is a simple and easy thing to do to make you feel like you accomplished something.

Writer and illustrator. Communications major. Currently writing a comic called 'Pretend to Love Me'. Self identified Scemo. Studying to be a magazine writer or book editor.