Make a Difference Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

#MakeADifferenceDay

On October 22nd, people from all over the country will hurdle together for Make a Difference Day. This is the largest day for volunteer service in the country. The volunteers come together for one solid reason, to Make a Difference. In the volunteer’s neighborhoods, state and across the country people come together. No matter the person’s background, age or race people get together to help others. Groups of volunteers get together every October to influence good deeds and making a difference. No matter how small or big people can help. Here are a few Ideas:

1. Food drive

Get some friends together and ask local stores for donated goods, always research and know who and where you are going to donate the food. The stores will usually provide some, but make flyers and get your college involved.

2. Volunteer for your city

Getting your foot in the door, you can help with city events and get to experience city politics. Most cities host different parades or have a local resource center, where you can help low income families by donating clothes and food.

3.  Find the closest shelter (human & pet)

Not only can you help feed others, but you can hear and meet some incredible people while doing it. By feeding pets or walking them you can help find them a home and you may be coming home with a few new friends yourself.

4. Volunteer at a local non- profit

Non-Profits are an amazing way to get involved, not only will you help people in need, but many are focused on education, women and children needs. You can help by tutoring, dress someone up for an interview or be a mentor for someone who aspires to be in college one day.

5. Ask your School

Schools are always getting involved with non-profits and have plenty of resources available for whatever or wherever you want to volunteer your time.Making a difference is all around us, and it can help you experience the different world culture. Not only will volunteering make you swoon with happiness, but it looks great on Grad applications. Also, it gives you valuable skills for the future, your future in school and the world. Never stop believing that you can make a difference, there’s a big ol’ world waiting for you.