Local Arizona Concert Venues and Bands to Look Out for this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Summer is around the corner, and with it comes the Arizona heat. As the weather moves into the triple-digits, people either stay indoors or book flights elsewhere. However, this is an encouragement to go outside and enjoy what Arizona has to offer. Maybe it wouldn’t be the best idea to go on a run or hike in 110-degree weather, but there are other options. Here’s an inside scoop to live music venues and local bands you can check out in Arizona this summer…

Let’s start with the venues!

Phoenix, Arizona, is an excellent hub for music, and many big names come down to perform for live audiences. The VanBuren is located in the heart of the city and is home to many concerts and events. The venue is a huge pit, typically an all-standing room. With a maximum capacity of 1800 people, it can quickly fill out. The best advice for this venue is–be there EARLY! Luckily, VanBuren also gives the option of premium seating membership, which guarantees ticket purchases to shows of your choice. Even without the membership, waiting in line is worth it for your favorite artist’s front-row view and sound. Be on the lookout for artists like Denzel Curry, Mt. Joy, and Keshi, who will be performing in the months until August. Suppose you’re not into the typical concert scene. In that case, VanBuren also has specialized music nights, from “Stranger Things 80’s Night” to a “Club ’90s: 2000s Night”. In the end, it’s all up to you.

VanBuren

If you’re looking for smaller venues in Phoenix, the Rebel Lounge and Valley Bar are great options. The Rebel Lounge has a maximum capacity of just under 400, whereas Valley Bar is closer to 500. Regardless, both venues provide a concert experience that can be unparalleled by the rest. With a smaller platform, musicians can interact with the audience more. Whether picking up a setlist or guitar pick off the stage or talking to artists after the show, there can be a greater sense of community and connection within this kind of setting. The Rebel Lounge is also home to Ghost Poetry nights and benefit events for smaller artists. Valley Bar is similar in specialized events with trivia nights or opportunities to learn about other cultures (i.e., Loteria de Mezcal). Both venues provide a great way for musicians and audience members to connect deeper. With an array of music artists, there will be many concert/event options for the summer.

Rebel Lounge

Valley Bar

In the east valley of downtown Mesa, Arizona, lies the Nile Theatre (www.theniletheater.com), a coffee shop by day and concert venue by night. The theatre is host to bigger shows, from techno synth music to the punk rock scene; many upcoming artists perform there. With an elevated stage and colorful lights, they’ll give you a show you won’t forget. Just below is the Underground, another location for different artists. Sometimes you can even hear the roaring thunder of footsteps from the crowd above. At the Nile, you get 2 options for venues. The Underground is a smaller setting, more intimate and personable, but just as fun. Many local bands perform there and draw in a younger crowd. Either option is fantastic and always gives a good time.

These are all great options, but what if you’re looking for something different? Turns out, a lot of local artists host house shows or backyard concerts. Here’s an introduction to a few of them:

Blu Joy:(@blujoymusic) Blu Joy is a two-man band that combines “retro-pop, modern doo-wop, and rock and roll,” per their Spotify. With crafty lyrics and sharp instrumentals, Blu Joy has catchy songs that draw their listeners in. They will be releasing a new album within the next few months. Be on the lookout!

Wah Wah (@wahwahband): With a modern spin on classic surf rock, Wah Wah has the perfect sound this summer. Their most streamed song on Spotify, “Lately,” goes through different phases–the perfect song to drive to…or maybe even dance to! With a recent album release in 2021, don’t be surprised if they release more music in the upcoming year.

Bummer Girl (@bummergirlband): Right out of Phoenix, Bummer Girl is a rock and roll band coming out with music (!!) on Sunday, May 22nd. With the release of their newest album, they will be hosting an event with food, drinks, and merchandise. The band has many collaborations with local artists, so they’re a great way to connect with the music community in Arizona.

Bethany Home (@bethanyhomeband): Close friends of Bummer Girl band, Bethany Home is based in Mesa and poses for indie/alternative rock. Their latest EP, “Yearbook,” navigates growing pains through high school and out of it. They create a great sense of relatability to connect to their audience.

Lovelaced (@lovelacedofficial): Last but not least, Lovelaced, based out of Tempe/Mesa, is a pop=rock band that recently performed with Arlie and Betcha at the Nile Underground. Lovelaced always brings great energy to their shows and reflects great joy in each performance. They will be coming out with more new music soon and are definitely a band to keep an eye on.

Phew…that was a lot of information, but hopefully, it gave good insight into the music scene here in Arizona. Going to big shows is fun and there’s a high chance that famous artists will always come out to the valley to perform. However, small shows are just as fun. There will be many options whether you’re into the big crowds or a more personal setting. My parting words are this…have fun, stay safe, and make sure to support your local artists :)

Here’s to happy listening!

Hi! My name is Lauren Hicks, and I am pursuing a BA in Professional Writing. Writing has always been an interest of mine and I am grateful to continue cultivating these skillsets through college. In my free time, I enjoy playing instruments, spending time outdoors, and finding new music.