Little Ways to Incorporate More Art in Your Everyday Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

With all the stress of classes, grades and group projects, we all need some creative outlet to inspire art and make us overall better human beings. 

• Do your nails in a cool way. Express yourself in unique way these images inspired by the season of Spring. Focus on cheerful colors and cute floral patterns and prints! Don’t worry if you can’t reach a level of perfection you wanted, practice makes perfect!
  • Paint your friend’s backs. This idea came from a Pinterest pin and a friend wanting to do something. Just get some cheap acrylic paint tubes from Walmart and grab a trusty friend. Make sure to test the paint on some skin before layering it on. If there is any redness or itching wipe it off immediately. People have done flowers, famous paintings like Van Gogh’s starry night or even a bible or quote or two. Here, are some ideas of what others have done which will hopefully inspire you as well:
  • Go flower shopping or pick flowers from a public place. Press them between pages of a large book, (that anatomy textbook collecting dust on your desk, will come in handy). Wait a week or so and then check to see if they are dry. Hang with on your walls (this makes a cute dorm decoration FYI but don’t steal the flowers like my roommates did)
  • Write. Write down your thoughts, dreams and goals. Research shows that what you write down physically on paper (no, not on notes on your iPhone) is better apprehended in the end. Also, goals and to dos are most likely to be completed and actually accomplished if written down on paper. It is cool to see what you end up doing after you write it down. Try poetry or even short stories! Even a blurb about your day can help you cope with your emotions and how you are feeling.
  • Doodle. Just take a pen or a pencil and start. You will be surprised at what you come up with. This is also a great to relax and unwind after a stressful time or week. 
  • Listen to jazz. A great artist to listen to specifically is: Miles Davis. Put it on for studying, reading or even sleeping. Spotify has a great playlist called “Coffee Table Jazz.” Here is the link for it: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWVqfgj8NZEp1?si… Research says that people who listen to jazz have lower heart rates and respiratory issues than those who do not listen to jazz. It has also proven to improve mood and focus. This is why it is recommended for students to study while listening to jazz. 

Add more art and color to your life!

Dasha is a writer, blogger and theater major at Grand Canyon University originally from Seattle, Washington.