This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Who is Lily Moe?  Lily Moe is an incredible student here who has made several positive contributions to our college. She is a communications major and has a passion for writing and editorial work. Lily comes from her state’s capital Salem, Oregon, just 45 minutes outside of Portland. Lily is currently our Senior Editor for Her Campus at Grand Canyon University. In addition, she also the Editor-in-Chief for The Odyssey at Grand Canyon University, member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, member of the Grand Canyon University pro-life club, and a member of the GCU Student Health & Care Committee. Talk about a busy schedule! Lily aspires to be the next best travel journalist. Due to all of her hard work, she was recently just offered an internship in New York City for The Odyssey Online, which she happily accepted.

What made you want to become a writer?

“Writing is always going to be an important part of our world. Whether online or in a newspaper, that’s how truth is communicated and archived. I want to be able to shed light on truth, particularly cultures and history. The thought of telling untold stories with new perspective makes me very excited!”

What is your favorite article that you have written?

One of my favorite articles is “Don’t Underestimate Those Darn Kids.” I have always found it so ironic that older generations are quick to judge younger generations, while they were also judged in their youth…it isn’t productive, and the repetitive cycle just causes problems and a lack of unity. I for one was super tired of being told how messed up my generation was, when we are doing great things to contribute to society. I realized that I hadn’t read anything on it, so I put my thoughts into an article! 

Who is your industry role model?

Ariana Huffington! She’s the CEO of Huffington Post, and a pretty incredible lady. She’s a beast in the news world, a huge role model for female journalists, and advocates for a healthy work and home life. 

Have you always been a writer? How long have you been writing for?

I’ve been telling stories since I could talk. My mom always tells people that I would line up my stuffed animals and “read” them books…when I couldn’t yet read the words on the page. As soon as I learned to write, the storytelling took that form. It has yet to stop. 

What is the most important quality a great writer should possess?

I think writers should be able to adapt to different perspectives. A writer’s voice is going to be unique, but it is the ability to interpret different situations with different perspectives is what makes for great stories.

How do you juggle all of your activities?

My planner and I are best friends. Also, I find Cheez-Its and naps to be very comforting when life gets crazy. 

What is your advice to people who want to break into writing?

Just start! Find things you’re passionate about and dig into them; interview, report, and share! Start your own blog and see where it takes you. You’ll be surprised at the voice that comes out!

President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!