Molly Peach-Laughing In Field
Molly Peach-Laughing In Field
Molly Peach / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Let’s Welcome Spring (Even Though It’s Cold Out)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

It’s official, springtime is almost here; and with that, the promise of blue skies, farmer’s markets, and the start of longer days. Spring is one of the best times of the year for many reasons, one of which being that it chases away those winter blues and brings excitement for summer.

Spring is more than just a transitional season between winter and summer; it has so much to offer on its own. So, here are some ways to get into a springtime mood – whether the weather has already started warming up or it is still cold and gloomy out.

Buy some flowers

Buying a bouquet of flowers brings a pop of color into your space and can make you excited for all of the new spring blooms that are about to arrive. Many places have a great assortment such as Trader Joe’s, a farmer’s market, or even your local grocery store. Plus – the floral scent can help to brighten up your room.

Wear florals or pastels

If it is still too cold out to wear traditional spring clothes such as sundresses, shorts, skirts, peasant tops and sandals, there are still options to get that springtime aesthetic while still staying warm. Wearing florals is a great way to nod at the spring blooms, and pastel colors are a great way to bring winter wear to life – instead of wearing the typical blacks, grays, and deep colors that are often associated with winterwear.

HAVE a picnic

If it’s warm enough outside, host a picnic – and if it is still cold, then simply bring the picnic inside. From the pastel blanket to the fruits and sandwiches, something about picnics screams springtime. This also gives you the opportunity to spend time in community with friends and dress up in those floral pieces that may feel out-of-place if it’s still super cold out.

bake something

Baking is often associated with the cottage core aesthetic, which is also associated with springtime. Baking can be a fun activity to enjoy no matter the time of year or the temperature outside. Cookies, cakes, and bread are all fun and tasty things to bake when trying to get into that springtime mode.

Spring cleaning

Spring cleaning is not everyone’s cup of tea, but opening up the windows and freshening up your space is a great way to start the new season off right. Wintertime often comes with the winter blues (and seasonal affective disorder (SAD) for many), which means there isn’t always a lot of cleaning done when it’s gloomy out. So, getting some freshness and sunlight into your space can help brighten your mood and get you excited for the new time of year.

Watch the sunset

With the sunset still happening pretty early in the day (5-7 p.m. in most places) it can be pretty easy to watch the sunset during this time of year. Unlike the deep wintertime, it is not quite as bitter-cold out, making the weather perfect for watching the sunset. Watching the sunset is a great friend-group activity and can be a fun way to experience some color in nature early in the spring season.

Journal what your plans are

Is there anything you are excited to do once spring really comes about? Things like setting up hummingbird feeders, planting a garden, and visiting the farmer’s market are all super fun springtime activities, so planning them out or making bullet-journal lists are a great way to get excited about the upcoming season!

Looking forward

Overall, no matter what the weather looks like right now, looking forward and being excited about the small things the future may bring is one way to keep your spirits up when life feels draining. The cold gloomy days, midterm exhaustion, and the overall stress of life are all things that can bring your mood down. The good news is that you are not alone, and finding little ways to bring joy into your day-to-day life can help you feel connected with your community and with yourself. So, keep your head up and look for that joy in the little things. You’ve got this!

Amelia Miller is a Senior at Grand Canyon University studying Professional Writing with a double minor in Literature and Communications. When she’s not curled up with a book or hunched over a laptop or notebook writing, Amelia can be found outside working in the garden, or going on a hike. Being from Colorado, the connection with nature is grounding and can serve as creative inspiration – but mostly it’s just fun. She can also be found in the kitchen, trying out new recipes or attempting to prove to her friends that vegetarian cooking can in fact be good.