This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Even though it is 2018, women still are getting backlash on simple things that would be completely reversed had they been in a male’s role. Take a look at dress code rules or the acts of catcalling. Every day, women encounter a struggle that is often overlooked and they usually do not speak out about it. The need for girl power is real and it is coming back with a vengeance. It is the 21st century and women are fighting back, and finally releasing the struggles that many have to go through. So, what is girl power? Girl power is redefining gender standards and being confident about being a woman! How many times have females been pushed down or thought of differently simply because of their gender? How many times have females not been allowed to speak up because of how it affects others? Or even viewed differently based on their actions than a boy would be? Girl power embraces being a female! It is, in essence, accepting and welcoming everything that comes along with being a girl.

Let’s take a moment to talk about the essence of girl power. Not to offend or dismantle the male gender, but females are powerful! Just this last week Model Slick Woods, who is the face of Singer Rihanna’s Fenty beauty collection, was invited to model at Rihanna’s New York Fashion Show. The model is now stating that she was in active labor during the show. Slick was a great example to the power that women hold as no one even had a clue that she would be giving birth to her son within the day! For generations, women have had to fight for their right. They had to fight for their right to wear pants, fight for their right to vote, and fight for their rights to equal pay. The journey has been long, and it continues to go on, but there is hope. Slick being able to hold her face through labor and model through the pain is a perfect example of why women should not be looked over. The essence of professionalism she displayed even through one of the most difficult moments in her life will not be easily forgotten. Slick is one of many who is beginning to stand out, given that hers was more of an act of physical strength and restraint. Bringing a human life into the world is a true miracle and being able to embrace the pain during a show and wearing heels while being able to do so is miraculous! Girl power is embracing the beautiful things that come with being a woman today. Reversing gender roles and any biased views that are put on females to combat them with strength and beauty. So let’s be girl powerful this week and remember the women who have walked before and made an impact, those who took a stand were bold in their actions and they took a risk so that girls today are able to enjoy the outcome.

Senior at Grand Canyon University double majoring in Communications and English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing.