In the Know: The Best Apps to Stay Informed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As a Communications major, class topics always involve what has been seen in recent news. Personally, before college, I never paid too much attention to the news. It seemed that every time I watched it on T.V., it was one negative story after another. When talking to other college students, I found that they felt the same way. Sometimes it’s hard to stay updated on everything going on in the world. Recently, I’ve downloaded some apps and subscribed to some easy, credible news sources to obtain daily information. Below are the four apps/websites I use daily to catch up on what’s going on.

This AM: This AM is an app created by Refinery 29. In one brief statement, the app lets you know “8 Things To Know This A.M.” Each day, the app is updated with the top 8 stories going on in the world. Under each number is a brief sentence describing the news, but the app offers the ability to click the story which then leads to the legitimate article. I like this app because although the one-sentence statement may seem like enough, the app takes you to the actual news article if you want to know more. For college students on the go, this app is extremely easy and useful to stay caught up on current events.

theSkimm: theSkimm is a weekday e-newsletter, but also an app. This once costs; a monthly subscription is only $2.99. I like theSkimm because they report on literally anything. When opening the app, you’ll find “theSkimm Picks” section, where they choose top stories for readers. There’s also a “Skimm Ahead” section, which lets readers know about upcoming events. Like This A.M., theSkimm takes you to the actual news sources of where they get their information. theSkimm provides more than just stories to read – you can also watch certain videos and listen to content they’ve posted. For those looking to stay updated and don’t mind spending a few dollars a month (which is less than your Starbucks drink!) theSkimm is for you.

Need 2 Know: Need 2 Know is a daily newsletter that sends you a handful of stories in politics, sports, business, entertainment, and tech that readers should know. Need2Know is free, and newsletters are sent on weekday mornings. Need2Know creates the most important news at the moment into easy-to-read summaries.

Morning Brew: Morning Brew is a bit different — this one is more business oriented. Like Need2Know, Morning Brew sends quick and quality email newsletters for business professionals. The emails contain a quote of the day along with a trivia question of the day. They provide information on the stock market, along with any great, current business news that should be shared. Morning Brew deals a lot more with numbers, but the emails are an easy and even humorous read. Even if you’re not the biggest fan of business (like me), Morning Brew is a great tool to use to get informed.

Fourth year Communications major who cares deeply about skin care and Harry Styles.
President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!