This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Right now is an extremely divided time in the world. With so many different views and opinions  on politics, pandemic warfares, and overall turmoil, there is a huge lack of peace and kindness. 

I think this is something we forget every day even though it is extremely important. As cliche as it sounds, killing someone with kindness is the best thing you can do at times. Whether this is in a passive aggressive situation or just day to day interactions, it is one of the best ways to be kind to those who may be hard to love. 

I truly believe judgement and pride is the biggest thing that comes in between simple acts of kindness. It is so easy to judge someone based off of their personal opinions, political beielfs, sex, race, and even religion. First impressions can completely throw off the way you interact with someone.

I think sometimes people avoid being kind because they are afraid of the outcome of being nice. They are afraid to give that extra compliment or go the extra mile. Some may even be afraid they are too good for others. This is where pride comes in. No human should evidently be better or greater than another human. I give that title to God.  

It sounds surface level, but it is important to love others in all forms. Political opinions and religion definitely take a toll on the way you think about people but that should not affect the way you treat people who you genuinely love. It also should not affect the way you treat strangers. The extra smile or wave you give someone in the hallway or elevator could change someone’s whole day. Usually when you dig deep, you are able to find a common ground or conversation topic that you can relate with someone on. It is not as hard as it looks! You will be surprised by the way it makes you feel.

There are a lot of appearance triggers that turn people off from being kind as well. It is pretty messed up when you think about it. You never know what someone is going through. You can look at someone from the outside, but it is so crazy to think about the fact that everyone has their own stories. Everyone has their own battles and insecurities they are dealing with. Everyone has their own past. 

One of the easiest ways to meet people is on a college campus. I have been so lucky to meet the friends I have here and I can say it was just from reaching out and being bold! Being kind and not caring about the repercussions…because there should not be any.

To conclude, there is no harm in being kind or loving! There are SO many different ways you can include acts of kindness in your day to life, and it motivates others to be nicer humans as well. 

Pink Hearts Floating in Air
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

Hi! My name is Savanna Kerr. I was born in Hawaii/grew up in Seattle. I attend GCU and I am studying professional writing and psychology. I was previously a journalist and eventually head editor for my school newspaper in high school called The Kolus. I am looking forward to being on this team!