It’s a Celebration: 5 Books Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Robert Alan, a well-known American screenwriter, once said, “cultural differences should not separate us from each other, but rather cultural diversity brings a collective strength that can benefit all of humanity.” September 15th to October 15th is Hispanic heritage month, which allows everyone to appreciate and celebrate the Hispanic heritage. In 1968, under the presidency of President Lyndon Johnson, Hispanic Heritage Week was created. Soon after, in 1988, under President Ronald Regan, Hispanic Heritage Week was extended to cover a 30 day period. The reason behind starting Hispanic Heritage Month on the 15th of September is because it is the anniversary of independence for several Latin countries. These countries include Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. Following these countries’ independence days on September 16th and 18th are the independence days for Mexico and Chile. This is a time of great pride for the Hispanic community and all of their wonderful contributions that we as a society can appreciate and enjoy. Here are five captivating reads from Hispanic voices that will capture your heart: 

1. The Book of Lost Saints by Daniel José Older

Danial José Older’s 2019 release, The Book of Lost Saints, follows a multigenerational Cuban family. The story starts with Ramon in modern-day New Jersey. He is regularly visited by the spirit of his Aunt Marisol, who disappeared during the Cuban revolution and soon comes to unearth his painful family history. Ramon sets out over the course of the story to understand and learn about his ancestors’ history, but he is unaware of his driving force. Along the way, Ramon comes to discover all of the “lost saints” that had helped his Aunt Marisol during her imprisonment during the Batista’s reign in Cuban. This captivating story follows a family’s story of revolution, forgiveness, and the fight for freedom that will leave readers yearning for more from Daniel José Older.

1. A Cuban Girl’s Guide to Tea and Tomorrow by Laura Taylor Namey

Lila Reyes had the perfect plan for her life: 1) take over as head baker at her Abuela’s panadería, 2) get a place with her best friend after graduation, and 3) live happily ever after with her boyfriend. But when Lila’s parents soon become worried about her mental health, they make a plan for her to spend the summer in Winchester, England, with some family friends. For an annoyed Lila, a rocky start to the summer causes life to start looking a little dull. This changes when Lila meets Orion Maxwell, a teashop clerk, persistent in helping Lila get out of her gloom by becoming her personal tour guide. It’s long not before a blossoming romance between Lila and Orion begins to develop, and a new future begins to take shape Lila’s mind. This sweet drama-filled read is the perfect cozy read that will make your heart melt.

1. We Are Not From Here by Jenny Torres Sanchez

Pulga, Chico, and Pequeña have not always had it easy growing up in Guatemala, where danger lies around every corner waiting to strike. Despite the difficulties that the three have faced, growing up in Guatemala has not always been bad, as the three have had times filled with laughter, joy, and family. However, the teens soon come to the decision to go to the U.S. for a new life full of endless possibilities, leaving everything and everyone they know behind. The three travel using the La Bestia route, a train route leading through Guatemala and Mexico heading into America. The novel takes off there as the reader is thrust into this gripping story of desperation, survival, and hope for a better tomorrow. Readers will be absolutely be touched by the rawness of Sanchez’s writing style and character development that make it impossible for readers to put the book down.

1. Furia by Yamile Saied Méndez

This own voices, young adult contemporary, is a fantastic read set in Argentina following an up-and-coming soccer player and her pursuit of her dreams. The story is set in Rosario, Argentina, following the main character Camila Hassan who is living a double life. At home, Camila is a leery daughter living with her rising soccer star brother and not meeting her mother’s high expectations while also dealing with her abusive father. However, on the soccer field, Camila is La Furia, known for her skills and talents. But when Camila’s soccer team winds up qualifying for the South American tournament, Camila is finally given the opportunity to show off her abilities and potentially receive an academic scholarship to a North American university. With all her wildest dreams at her fingertips, the journey quickly becomes exceedingly tricky as her parents don’t know her dream and hold the belief that a girl shouldn’t be allowed to play fútbol. But the La Furia in Camilia will not allow her to give up on her dream. This remarkable coming-of-age story will leave readers feeling inspired to follow their dreams with ambition and grit, because nothing is impossible.

1. I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sánchez

Erika L. Sánchez’s debut young adult novel explores themes of grief, loss, and family, and friendship in this tender and raw story following Julia. Julia was never the perfect daughter in the family; that was her sister Olga. But after a tragic turn of events, Olga is killed in a deadly car accident, leaving Julia’s family in ruins. During this time of grief, Julia beings to sink into a darker place as some members of the family begin to channel grief into consistently comparing Julia’s failures to Olga’s successes, leaving Olga even more broken than before. However, through some unsuspecting discoveries, Julia is led to believe that maybe Olga wasn’t all that perfect as she thought. With the help of Julia’s best friend Lorena and boyfriend Connor, Julia is determined to uncover the hidden secrets of her sister Olga and, through this journey, learns that imperfection is what makes life so perfect.

Hi! I’m Lauryn DeGraff! I’m 21 years old and an Arizona native. I’m currently a junior majoring in business analytics with a minor in marketing! My passions reside in reading, writing, fashion, traveling, and being with my family. I’m an absolute music snob, but my first love of music lies in 90’s R&B and Hip Hop. I hope that my writing can serve as being fun, encouraging, and relatable. I look forward to meeting new people and making unforgettable memories. I’m so excited to be writing for Her Campus and to see what is to come in the future!