I’m Done Hearing “When You Get to be My Age”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

With politics, all around us, it can sometimes be hard to always keep our mouths shut. As young college women, we might find ourselves drowning in our elders’ concepts that they know what is best. News flash – they don’t. As a young woman growing up in the twenty-first century, I and many others find many flaws within our system and how it is being viewed and executed in D.C. As a young woman, I feel the need to speak for my generation, no matter the backlash it may have. I believe that we as a generation can change how our world and country are being perceived. We all have an inner voice, some have yet to find that voice, many are voicing theirs and many have been voicing their voices for years. We cannot sit back and think “this doesn’t affect me” or “how this won’t affect me in the future.” We are given a space in this world, we need to step up and demand our space to be taken seriously. When a person thirty years older than you, tells you that “you don’t know what you are talking about” or  “when you get to be my age…” you need to do these following things:

1. Remember it’s okay to have a different view

You will always meet people who think and view the world differently. We are all different, yet the same. Remember that everyone has a journey and a story, some of us are old, some young and some have had good and bad upbringings. The fact is that our experiences make us who we are.

2. Understand their point of view

Do your research, make sure you understand each side of the conflict.  If you don’t understand a topic don’t shy away from asking questions. It is 100% okay to not understand a topic and want someone else’s view. Always remember, to research it after you and the other person spoke about it.

3. Stay calm

Being able to hold your ground gracefully is vital to any conversation. No matter what the other person may be telling you, or yelling at you. Getting angry will only escalate the situation and neither of you will leave happy. Not only will keeping calm help you in the long run (aka. no high blood pressure), but can represent your character as a person.

4. Don’t take topics personally

Yes, it is difficult to not take comments and snarls personally. Understanding that disagreements in any conversation are difficult. Being able to cut personal ties when speaking about politics is vital to having a clean conscious leaving the conversation.

5. SPEAK UP

Don’t let anyone make you feel inferior because they are “older,” have different views, are of a different gender/sex, different culture etc… Be confident and stand your ground. Your voice counts and should be heard. Don’t be afraid to fail or be wrong, be ready to learn and open your eyes to the bigger picture. Don’t stay quiet because you’re scared, be strong — be bold and be fearless. 

President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!