This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Out of absolutely nowhere I decided I wanted to challenge myself and be vegan for a week. I did not do much research on what it was to be a vegan, but I spontaneously made the decision to try it anyway, and see what it was all about. For those who live vicariously and strictly vegan, I SALUTE YOU. It was a very tough week because I LOVE CHICKEN. As hard as it was, I loved it. I was able to find new things that I never would have tried if I did not decide to change my lifestyle for a week. For example, my friends and I went to our campus infamous restaurant, Canyon 49. I was doubtful that they would have anything vegan, but thank goodness I was wrong! I had these amazing “Jackfruit Tacos” with a side of salad. It tasted so similar to chicken that I was in heaven! When I say I did no research prior, I mean I did none. So I would be in line at Taco Bell researching if they had any vegan options and they do too! On a more serious note, just by going vegan for a week, I have felt over all so much healthier. I feel more energized and motivated by staying away from processed foods as much as possible. Yes, I had Taco Bell, but it was a cheat day! I also loved the idea that the purpose of the vegan lifestyle is to preserve the life of all living things, which is absolutely beautiful, and one of the main reasons I have enjoyed this week long journey. Although it has only been a week, I want to try and uphold this challenge, to help preserve as much life as possible.

My name is Brianna, I am from East Los Angeles, California, and am currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Government with an Emphasis in Legal Studies at GCU! I also work as a sushi waitress. I love running, fashion, and binge-watching shows.