I Booked a Ticket and Jumped On a Plane With No Plan…It Was One Of My Best Decisions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

For background information, I am in a long distance relationship with a guy named Quinn. Quinn goes to school in Kansas. Plane tickets between Arizona and Kansas are NORMALLY not cheap, but on Tuesday I found a ticket for around $150; so, I knew I had to jump at the chance! The only thing was, I’d be getting on the plane and seeing Quinn in around 24 hours. 24 hours was all I had to clean my dorm, pack my bag (thankfully it was only my backpack), find a way to the airport, and find a place to stay once I got there, make a budget, ect. I often over plan things (like finding the menu of a restaurant online so I know what i want before I even step foot inside). So, not knowing how Quinns schedule would work while I was there and not staying in a place I’m familiar with was enough to stress me out.

The last couple hours before leaving, my plan was still pretty up in the air and it made me so ridiculously anxious, I was sick. I was frantically packing and cleaning and making sure that I didn’t forget anything. I didn’t sleep at all that night or during my flight, so I was exhausted. At the end of the day, it worked out almost perfectly! I had never flown through Allegiant Airlines before, but they were decently priced and the seats were one of the better ones.  

I stayed in an Airbnb while Quinn had an away baseball game for 1 of the 5 days (he was originally supposed to be gone for 2 ½ days) I was there. To be honest, it was a little dingy. Thankfully, Quinns friends took me to the Airbnb which was around 45 minutes from their college and once they saw it decided to walk me in to make sure it was safe. The entrance that led up to my apartment didn’t have a lock, so that was off putting, but it was in a nice area but the front door of the Apartment building didn’t have any sort of lock or key pad. Once we got into my Apartment the water didn’t work, it had a weird smell to it, there was no light in the living room, and there were ants EVERYWHERE. To be fair I got it last minute so I can’t complain, and for it being just me it wasn’t all that bad!

Despite Quinn having class, baseball practice, baseball games, ect., we made every second count! The lack of planning and my complete spontaneity wasn’t as crazy when we were together.

One night specifically we were about to go to bed, but decided we wanted food, so we went to a local restaurant to get Tacos. It was about 2 in the morning and the restaurant was busy, we ordered our food and decided to eat somewhere else because there was about to be a fight in the middle of the restaurant. The food was good, the experience was interesting, but the memory we will share will be priceless. This night was one of my favorites.

All in all, the trip was a last minute mess, but I don’t regret a second of it. There is nothing better than the thrill of spontaneity with someone you care about. Most people during Spring Break find a beach, for me it Spring Break meant finding a creepy Airbnb and having the time of my life. It didn’t take a fancy hotel, a beach, or material things. The best part of my Spring Break was the person I spent it with. So often I want the nicer things in life when the things that will bring me the most joy are the people I spend my time with.

Missouri born girl who falls in love with every place she's been.