This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As another semester of career preparation comes to an end, students are a step closer to their professional goals. Some are seniors, about to take the first step into the workplace. No matter how far away your professional goals seem to be, you can reach them. Here’s how. 

Embrace the Process

Reaching your professional goals is a process. Documenting and showing that process is one of the best things you can do for your professional development. ‘Professional’ to most means ‘perfect’ and ‘polished.’ And if something isn’t just that, then it doesn’t deserve to be seen or kept. Perfectly fine ideas too often get put in the trash because they don’t quite meet professional expectations. 

New York Times bestselling author, Austin Kleon, wrote a book called Show Your Work, in which he debunks the idea that professionalism comes with perfection. He encourages anyone pursuing a profession to offer what they can and what they know how to do no matter how unqualified they may feel. Don’t discredit any thought, idea, draft, or project. Write it down, draw it, or capture it in some fashion so that it will be there to learn from, edit, and share with others. 

Build an online presence

The first place that people go to find someone or to get a better idea about an individual, as everyone does when they want to learn more about something, is the internet or social media. Therefore, it is important to have a professional and recognizable online presence, so employers and other audiences can find you easily.

The best way to start is by creating a LinkedIn account. This is the go-to platform for professional networking and where employers and colleagues will search first. Next, take advantage of social media. Each social media platform has different purposes and techniques when it comes to growing a brand and connecting with an audience. Finally, create a blog or website to showcase your professional work.

Tips to Remember When Building an Online Presence:

• Make sure that all social media accounts and interactions reflect a professional image of yourself. Employers look at social media when considering job candidates.
  • Have one professional headshot to use for all profile pictures. This creates a clean, recognizable online presence

Consistency Is key

Once published and live, these accounts will be most valuable if they are kept up to date and if the information is consistent across all accounts. Employers look at social and professional accounts to learn more about someone, so it is important that the information is accurate and current. You, as the user, should also create and upload content regularly to keep audiences engaged and interested in your work. Stick to a consistent schedule for social media posts, blog entries, website updates, etc. 

Network

Networking is crucial. It builds relationships, makes connections, and opens unexpected doors. Though online networking is a must in today’s professional world, in-person networking is still important. Digital networking is less personal and rarely leads to meaningful discussions. Look for in-person networking opportunities on campus. These include career fairs, conferences, and club events. 

The Strategic Employer Initiatives & Internships department at Grand Canyon University is hosting a “Speed Coaching” networking event alongside the College of Humanities & Social Sciences, Multi-cultural office, and GCU chapter of HerCampus on Thursday, March 31st from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. GCU students of any major will have the chance to talk with women in the workplace and receive career advice. It will be the perfect opportunity to meet and converse with professionals face to face. Be sure to follow the Instagram account, @hercampusgcu, for new announcements and more information about the event closer to its date. 

Wherever you are on your career path, your professional goals are never that far out of reach.

Savannah studies English with an emphasis in Professional Writing at GCU. Her dog and the California coast back home sum up her passions. She loves discovering more about this world through the process of writing and sharing her words with others!