This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

What does it mean to get ready for college? There are some important steps that can be taken in high school to ensure you are prepared academically and personally for your college education. 

High school is a great time to explore, have fun, and develop! But you should start planning now! College may seem like a long time, but it will come sooner than expected! High school can provide many opportunities. You can take different classes that are offered at the school and some such as dual enrollment and AP classes can help you get a head start through earning college credit. They can also help you prepare for the rigor of college. 

Getting involved in extracurricular activities can also be interesting and fun. They can also serve as a place to develop many skills as well. Practicing and being apart of a team is valuable. You can join club sports as well in college or even play for a school. 

Schedule college visits to tour college campuses. It is best to visit a school while it’s active so you can really see what going there might be like. You can spend the whole day or a few hours to look around the whole campus and get a feel for it. 

Most importantly, work on college skills. Do you know how to cook? How to fix a tire? The basics of laundry? What about finances, grocery shopping, personal safety? You can also teach yourself by looking up videos or simply asking your parents or guardians! 

College should be fun and can be such a great experience! Just be prepared for the journey! 

Lopes Up! Spread kindness wherever you go Instagram: bihsierraaa