This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Whether you are flying or road tripping to campus from across the country, or driving five minutes away from home with your boxes piled in the backseat of your car; going back to school can be exciting, but also nerve-wracking. Especially after a school year full of social limitations due to the pandemic, stepping into the unknown while carrying high expectations for the upcoming school year, can feel overwhelming. 

There are simple little things that you can do to make it your best year while still being realistic. 

It’s important to take care of your body and mind, so that you can reach your greatest potential. Show your body love. Make it a priority to get a good night’s sleep, of which will help your overall well-being. A good night’s rest will reduce stress, promote a positive mood, improve memory and learning, boost the immune system, and more. Another important thing to do is eat a majority of healthy food, even if it means picking the healthier option from time to time.  

While taking care of your body is essential to feel your best, so is taking care of your mental health. Fuel your mind with positivity regularly. Even if it’s putting positive sticky notes around your dorm or listening to uplifting music at the beginning of your day. These little things put you in a good mindset, so you can tackle the rest of the day. Take time for yourself and listen to what you need. It sounds so simple, but it can be easy to neglect your health, especially with a busy schedule. 

Journal your thoughts, read, paint your nails, or do a face mask. Do something to unwind and show yourself love often.

Study better, not harder. Know what kind of learner you are and use that to your advantage. For example, if you are a Visual learner, use highlighters, colored flashcards and diagrams to help you remember the material. If you are an Auditory learner, review flashcards out loud or record your instructor’s lectures. If you are a Kinesthetic learner and need to tackle things hands-on, write notes repeatedly or list examples in your notes that you can apply to real life scenarios. Studying according to the type of learner that you are will give you more time and free you from any potential frustration. 

Another essential thing to remember this year is to allow yourself to be uncomfortable. Don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid to ask someone new to hang out or apply for your dream internship. It’s cheesy, but it’s true, you never truly know until you try and it’s better to try than to never have tried at all.

Doing things even when you’re afraid of the outcome can help build confidence and help you reach your fullest potential. Be yourself and you will attract the people that are meant to be in your life. Keep in mind that it matters more what you think of yourself than what others think of you. 

Ask for help when needed. When the pressure of school, work and your social life begin to weigh you down, know you can reach out for support. You’re not alone and not everyone has it together. Everyone has their own battles. Some choose to show it and others don’t. Asking for help isn’t weak, it is strong because it can be a hard thing to do. There are people that genuinely want to help you. Family, teachers, friends and hotlines are examples of people that can help you. It can be scary to ask for help, but knowing that you are supported can make a difference.

This school year, pay extra attention to taking care of your body and mind, using your learning style to your advantage, getting out of your comfort zone, and not hesitating to ask for help when you need it. Putting these simple tips to use can help make the new school year be your best one yet!

Hi! I am a student at GCU majoring in communications. I love reading, writing, fashion, videography, being outside, and having some good conversations :) Do all things with love <3