How to Feel the Christmas Spirit in College!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Feeling the Christmas spirit in college can be hard. You’ve moved away from family — out of your family home and regular routine. Classes, homework, final exams, and maybe even a job on the side fills up your schedule, and winter break is still not here! How are you supposed to be festive in these conditions?? Here are a few things you can do to conjure the Christmas spirit in college!

Listen to Christmas Music

This is one of the easiest things you can do to get you in the Christmas mood. Try to listen to Christmas music anywhere and everywhere you can. Turn on a Spotify playlist while you get ready for the day, do homework, or walk to your next class! Incorporate a little bit of merry into your regular routine! This will also help the monotonous day-to-day feel a little less grey as you wait for winter break!

Decorate Dorm

Decorating your dorm for Christmas is a super fun activity to do to make your college life a little more Christmas-ey! You can ask your parents to send you some decorations from home, buy some relatively cheap ones from Target/Walmart/the Dollar Tree, or you could even make some decorations! You can decorate your dorm with string lights on the walls, stockings (which you could personalize for more fun!), a mini Christmas tree, and so much more! This is also a great bonding activity for your and your roommates!

An easy DIY you can do to decorate your dorm is to make paper snowflakes! This is a cheap and simple activity that you can do with a lot of people, and the outcome is super cute!

Participate in Festive Activities

Christmas is all about spending time with people, so what better than to be with friends to get you in the mood! There are lots of festive activities you can participate in throughout the week without leaving campus! Go out and get some hot cocoa with friends! Do a Hallmark movie marathon! Buy or make Christmas presents together for family members! Decorate some Christmas cookies! There are so many things to do to get you in the holiday mood!

If you are able to leave campus, that opens up a lot more activities you can do to get in the festive spirit. For example, you could go ice-skating at a skating rink, go to the zoo lights, visit downtown Scottsdale and look at the decorations, visit rich neighborhoods to looks at their decorations, and so much more!

Dress the Part

Lastly, dressing the part can help increase your Christmas spirit. Wear cozy sweaters (or ugly sweaters if you really want to be festive), wear Christmas-themed socks, etc! You and friends could even get matching sweaters, socks, pajama sets, etc! If you buy matching Christmas clothes with your friends, you could even do a cute photoshoot of all of you matching! Like a college-family Christmas card! How cute!

Hello! My name is Hanna Dixon and I'm double-majoring in Professional Writing and Digital Film Production. Some of my favorite things to do include reading good books, doing movie marathons with friends, painting, and going thrift shopping!