This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Autumn in Arizona is greatly anticipated across the state because it signals the end of 100 degree weather and possible heat stroke. But to anyone who has never experienced an Arizona autumn before, here are a few tips for dressing for this particular climate.

Sweater Weather?

Fall is all about busting out your favorite sweaters right? Waking up on a nice Arizona morning you might feel a little chilly in your room, so a sweater would be the perfect option. So go ahead, don that cozy little number that you’ve had in the back of your closet for the rest of the year. But then check your phone and realize that the high is still in the 80s, and it’d honestly be better to put on a tank top. Hopefully one day that sweater will see some use.

Pants or No Pants

Okay, so you can’t wear a sweater even though it’s October. Can you wear those cute corduroy pants that you bought specifically for an aesthetic fall outfit? Yes you can! But only for about an hour and a half in the morning, and only in the shade. That’s right, it might be 65 degrees outside, but the Arizona sun has no mercy for your fashion choices. You might even want to switch into shorts once it hits lunch time.

Is This Just Summer 2.0??

You might be a little frustrated now that you’re wearing a tank top and shorts in the fall. You might be thinking “why did I move to a state that has no seasons?” and that is a valid thought – one that many native Arizonans think themselves. Is there any reprieve from the eternal heat?

Consider Being Nocturnal

Yes, you read that right. Want to dress as cute as you wish for the autumn months? Want to layer??? Then, my friend, consider following the ways of the bat or the owl. Night time is your new day time. Why might that be, you may ask? Well, once the wrathful sun dips beneath the horizon, a coolness settles upon the earth like a fresh oasis in the desert. A breeze might pick up, and suddenly you’re shivering in your tank top and shorts. So put on that sweater or cardigan. Pull on those jeans or trousers. Live your fall dreams under the starry sky.

Little Shirt Big Pants

If the nocturnal approach isn’t your vibe, you can try a different tactic entitled “little shirt big pants”. This term has been popularized by TikTok users, but the concept is classic. Tops like crop-tops or tank tops paired with wide legged pants can allow you to achieve comfort and stylishness during the fall months. This combination ensures that you aren’t too warm in the afternoon and are also comfortable in the morning or evening. You can also throw on a cardigan when it gets chilly.

Wear What Makes You Feel Comfortable

Ultimately autumn in Arizona is a tricky time for outfits, and it can be difficult to find what works for you. Whether you go through multiple outfit changes throughout the day or develop a system of layering, comfortability should be your number one priority. Plus, those winter months are right around the corner, so do not fear if you aren’t able to dress as cozy as you wanted to in the fall. I promise your sweaters will see the light of day at some point in the year.

Hello! My name is Hanna Dixon and I'm double-majoring in Professional Writing and Digital Film Production. Some of my favorite things to do include reading good books, doing movie marathons with friends, painting, and going thrift shopping!