jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Step Out When You Have Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As humans, it is in our nature to cling to what feel safe and secure, these are called “comfort zones”. From experience, anxiety is not a laughing matter. It’s not something that you can just shake off and ignore. What might be the most insignificant thing to someone else is a huge deal to other people. You would think that facing your fears would cause more anxiety and stress to the body, when in reality, it has an opposite effect. I am not the one to set New Year’s resolutions, but these are tips that everyone with anxiety needs to try at least once in 2018.

Pinpoint It

Identifying where the main source of anxiety is coming from is not always an easy task, especially when it feels as if your emotions have completely drowned out your thoughts. Try keeping a journal. When there are a million thoughts racing through your head, sometimes all you need to do is write tirelessly until there is nothing left to write. Take ten minutes or so to pour out your heart and get rid of taunting thoughts.

Before a Presentation

You’ve heard it before right? To picture everyone in their underwear or to stare at a specific spot in the back of the classroom. For people with anxiety there is nothing worse than being told “you’re overreacting”. Presenting can be absolutely petrifying to some people. Before class starts take a few minutes to pop in some headphones with music (relaxing music is preferred) and practice breathing. Take five deep breaths and realize that you are smarter than you think and braver than you appear.

Do What You Love

There is no shame in saying no to plans to take a little time for yourself. Ideally, stay away from technology because we are constantly surrounded by it. Do something that will help you grow. Get outside and take a walk, play guitar or cook a wholesome dinner. Know that it is okay to let go a little bit and to ignore responsibility in small increments.

Talk

This one seems pretty obvious, but it is also one of the most overlooked answers to anxiety. Most people want to seclude themselves because they do not want to feel like they are bothering others. People who love and care about you will listen. GCU offers a myriad of opportunities to talk to someone and receive professional help. I have a good friend who goes through the same thing as me and we constantly tell each other what is wrong. It is nice to step out the comfort zone and receive advice. Even though it might be uncomfortable to talk about at first, growth is happening and you will be glad that you reached out.

Technology Time

There is no denying that technology is one of our comfort zones. It seems that everyone has been consumed by electronic devices. Be careful not to overload your time on a computer or phone, especially before bed. Technology has a negative effect to cause less sleep and increase anxiety. While it is a powerful tool, try to put down your phone an hour before bed and pick up a book or listen to music instead.

Abbie Carnes is a Junior at Grand Canyon University. She is an elementary education major and believes that learning is the key to success. She has a strong passion for writing, drawing, reading, and music. Even with her strong tendency to wander, God always directs her paths towards his goodness.