Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Speak Your Partner’s Love Languages in a Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

1. Physical Touch 

The lack of physical touch is really tough in long-distance. Even if you cannot be there with your partner physically, there are things you can do to fill that void. One way you can practice physical touch is to hold something tangible that your partner gifted you. This could be a jacket, a blanket, or a stuffed animal. When you are holding these items, you will be reminded of your partner and have that sense satisfied. 

2. Quality Time

In long distance, it can seem like quality time together is lessened. Finding times to communicate with your partner is super important when wanting to spend quality time together. Communicate with your partner about how often you both feel you need to talk to each other and make time to fulfil those needs. You can talk about how often you both want to text each other, how often you want to video call, and how much you want to simply call each other. Sometimes it can feel like your partner is there with you when you are communicating with them virtually. Taking time for each other should definitely fulfil the need for quality time while you and your partner are far apart. 

3. Acts of Service

Even when you cannot be with your partner in person all the time, you can still find ways to do acts of service for them. Acts of service gestures can include doing nice gestures for your partner. This can include sending your partner food from a food delivery service. You can order your partner food from their favorite local restaurant. You can even get a little bit creative and send your partner a robot vacuum. Since you cannot be with your partner in person, you can have the robot vacuum help out your partner with the vacuuming and make chores just a bit easier for them. 

4. Words of Affirmation

In long distance, it can be very easy to send your partner words of affirmation. Try sending your partner a good morning text every morning and tell them some reasons why you love them. This is sure to put a smile on their face when they wake up and see your text. You can also send them goodnight texts every night before bed. When you talk to them on the phone, tell them how proud you are of them and encourage them. This will help your partner know that you are thinking of them and that you love them. 

5. Gifts

In long distance relationships, sending gifts can be a really fun way to show your partner you are thinking of them. You can send your partner a care package filled with their favorite snacks or you can send your partner items that remind you of them. You can even send them items that you find while online shopping. Including a note or letter with your gifts is a great way to complete the gift. Receiving a gift and giving gifts is a wonderful way to feel loved in long distance relationships.

I hope to help individuals who read my writing posts know that they are unique and accepted and can find a fun and safe space when they read my posts! I hope that individuals who read my posts can become inspired and feel welcomed.