Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How Quantum Mechanics Can Help Explain Your Love Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Although physics and love may seem entirely unrelated at first glance, they are actually more similar than you may think. Both quantum physics and love have left people scratching their heads in befuddlement for centuries. Quantum mechanics is universally (no pun intended) understood as the fundamental study of matter and energy. Essentially, it is the set of laws that describes the behavior of nearly visible subatomic particles that make up everything around us and within us. There is no single theory of quantum mechanics, just as there is no single definition of love. Instead, quantum physics is the mathematical infrastructure that works in conjunction with its relatives, such as molecular biology and organic chemistry. Just as quantum physics is hard to digest on an intellectual level, love is just as difficult to grasp at times. We second guess ourselves, overthink, and make things harder than they need to be. 

Although each of us has an idiosyncratic definition of love, the Webster Dictionary defines love as a feeling of strong or constant affection for a person. Atoms may not particularly “love” each other, but according to quantum entanglement theory, they do attract energy and form relationships otherwise known as “entanglement.” 

It appears that electrons and other subatomic particles can also “peak each other’s interest” despite distance and crowdedness between them. 

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-07-25/love-quantum-physics-and-entanglement

From atoms to attraction, quantum physics aims to answer the enigmatic question: What is life? Luckily, quantum theory consists of a number of riveting phenomena that can help enlighten us on ambiguous affairs, whether it be science or sex. This leads me to an anomaly regarded as quantum entanglement. Quantum entanglement was first studied in European robins who migrated from Scandinavia to the Mediterranean simply by sensing Earth’s magnetic field. To get a clear picture of how this relates to your love life take the classic example of making eye contact with your particular romantic interest across a crowded room of people. It appears that electrons and other subatomic particles can also “peak each other’s interest” despite distance and crowdedness between them. 

Have you ever been attracted to someone and you couldn’t quite explain why you were attracted to them, but you couldn’t deny the chemistry? This could be why. These unseen intimate connections happen between molecular particles light years away from each other, and humans just a few feet away from one another. In fact, quantum entanglement is the very reason why long-term relationships can last despite lack of proximity. 

Love and sexual attraction are just merely a result of the microscopic electromagnetic fields that exist within each of us. 

https://kripalu.org/resources/quantum-love-principles-attracting-relationship-you-really-want

A modest understanding of energy in its simplest form can help us interpret the vast convolution love can often consist of. This very notion is so speculative that even Einstein scrutinized this theory by referring to it as “spooky action at a distance.” Love and sexual attraction are just merely a result of the microscopic electromagnetic fields that exist within each of us. 

If your love life is complicated, it may be because of a lack of cohesiveness in quantum entanglement. It may also be complicated simply because humans are complicated and error-prone. Physics may not be able to answer all of our love inquiries, but it surely can help us better understand the world we live in.

My name is Kayla Murphy and I was born and raised in Phoenix. I am currently a freshman studying Psychology with a minor in Behavioral Health Science. Apart from writing I love painting and reading books.