Wellness

How to Build Up Your Immune System Against the Coronavirus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

There is no doubt that COVID-19 has caused an international panic. “Social distancing,” movie theater and restaurant shut-downs, and a severely slowed economy have all been the result of the newest strand of the Coronavirus family. Though the virus does not appear to be particularly harmful in its early stages, it can worsen—especially in individuals with lung conditions—and develop into a disease that mirrors pneumonia. But, there is no need to panic. COVID-19 only has a fatality rate of about 3%. Most recovering patients are discharged from the hospital around 2 ½ weeks after they are admitted, and there are some practical steps that even the most vulnerable individuals can take to protect themselves from COVID-19. 

1. Take Oregano Capsules and Eat Fresh Ginger

Oregano is an antiviral herb that contains carvacrol—an active component which inactivates viruses (such as the stomach bug) within 1 hour of contact. You can order oil of oregano capsules on Amazon for anywhere from $7-$30 a bottle. Fresh ginger also opens up the respiratory system and acts as an antiviral medicine. Slicing the root into small pieces and taking them internally will give you immediate relief, since ginger blocks any viral attachment in your airways. 

2. Do Not Be Afraid

Nothing weakens your immune system like fear, or, in other words—anxiety. Countless experiments, polls, and observations have proven time and again that anxiety either causes disease or compounds it. Think about the countless diseases, accidents, and daily threats that you have already survived. COVID-19 only has a 3% fatality rate. Think about any hidden agendas that have to do with this threat. The media has always dramatized events to serve their own agenda. And who has a heavy influence on the media? The Democratic party. They already tried to impeach Trump, and that did not work. How convenient for a new pandemic to sweep across the nation and crash the economy, just in time for another presidential race. You do not have to agree, but it is something to think about. Look at the source of your fear, and try to be objective. 

3. Take Echinacea and Elderberry Capsules

Echinacea acts as a natural antibiotic by effectively killing viruses and bacteria. The popular herb boosts your immune system by stimulating cell production. The cells multiply to fight infections. Echinacea also contains phytochemicals, which fight and reduce infections even after you have been exposed. Elderberry is commonly taken with echinacea to boost the immune system. Studies have proven that those infected with influenza A and B experienced 91% improvement after taking elderberry for a week. The herb reduced their fevers and increased overall feelings of improvement. Both echinacea and elderberry capsules are also for sale on Amazon.

4. Take Olive Leaf—The Miracle Herb

Olive leaf’s main compound, oleuropein, inhibits viruses by blocking their attachments to healthy cells. Studies prove that taking olive leaf in the early stages of a viral infection reduces the infection potential by 10 to 30 percent. More studies show that olive leaf can even inhibit HIV by blocking replication. 

5. Get Plenty of Rest

With schools shutting down, and the ever-growing threat of a mandatory lockdown, now is the perfect time to catch up on sleep. Rest is essential for health, and we have the perfect opportunity now that the nation is on a mission to self-quarantine. We could never get this opportunity to spend uncompromised time with our families or ourselves again. We have the chance to pour all of our attention into connection, reflection, and prayer. It is torture for the over-achievers, paradise for the antisocial, and a well-deserved vacation for the workaholics. Maybe the threat of COVID-19 is a much needed wakeup call. 

girl sleeping in black and white
Kinga Cichewicz

The U.S. has forgotten it’s Maker. We are more aware of our need for God now that we are facing the unknown. Let this be the catalyst for a revival in a country that was originally built on God’s provision and His Word. We have strayed, but we can come back. Schools need to reintroduce faith, doctors need to ask the ultimate Healer for wisdom, and families need to be reunited under the loving hand of our Heavenly Father. 

“Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14 (NLT) 

References:

https://www.alternet.org/2020/02/here-are-3-ways-coronavirus-will-affect-the-us-economy/

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-covid19-day-by-day-symptoms-patients-2020-2

https://blog.paleohacks.com/antiviral-herbs/#

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oregano+capsules&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Morganne plans to become an investigative journalist. In addition to HerCampus GCU, Morganne writes for the GCU Odyssey Online Platform, Scottsdale Health magazine, and AZ's Uptown magazine. She will graduate from GCU in spring of 2021 with her bachelor's degree in Professional Writing. Her passion for writing centers around the world of holistic health and fitness, her faith, and politics. She loves sports, hiking, singing, being involved with her local church, and spending time with her family.