This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Black Friday is the craziest day of the year for any town center, mall, outlet, or anywhere that grants to chance to shop. Retail is at its absolute peak in sales, items, and employees prepared to take on this insane day. Since I have been in retail for about two and a half years, and have just completed my second Black Friday, I have noticed the most efficient ways to shop, save money, and time. So, I decided to share three tips from what I have learned from personal experience as a retail worker in order to help you have a super productive Black Friday next year! 

Wake up Early

None of us like to get up early, but on Black Friday I have noticed a lot of other people do not like to either. Sure, there are always those people camped outside, but the past two Black Fridays that I have worked in a mall, I have seen that not that many do so. Get up early, and wait outside of the place you would like to shop at the most that way you can get inside right when it opens, leave at a decent time, and be able to head over to your next destination. Those people who decide to come later in the day, or last minute are less likely to find the items that they are looking for, because they will have sold out.  When items sell out, is usually when the crazy will kick in, the claws will come out, and there it is, an angry customer. 

Be Patient and Nice to the Associates

To add on to that last sentence, be kind, and understanding with associates, and you are more than likely to have a better shopping experience. If items sell out, that is completely out of their control, and therefore should not face any backlash for that. I know I should not be saying this, but if a customer is rude to me, I will not give them a coupon! Whereas if a customer is nice, I tend to usually give them about a pound in coupons. But, I am sure I am not the only retail employee who does this, because we are human beings, and expect to be treated like so. I have had instances where I greet a customer, and they tell me to “shut up.” So, I shut my mouth about those sales, coupons, and promotions. 

Wear Comfortable Clothes

If you are comfortable shopping in seven-inch heels, and a ballgown, by all means, GO OFF! As long as you are comfortable, that is all that matters, because if you are not then you will get irritated, and not be able to have as much of a productive day as you would have anticipated. The ones who are wearing leggings, a comfy t-shirt, and some worn in shoes are usually in the best mood. I would say the shoes aspect is the most important though, because you are going to be on your feet, and walking around so much. So make sure you wear your comfiest pair of shoes, and outfit, because I want you to have the best, most efficient Black Friday as possible!

My name is Brianna, I am from East Los Angeles, California, and am currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Government with an Emphasis in Legal Studies at GCU! I also work as a sushi waitress. I love running, fashion, and binge-watching shows.