This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

New Year’s resolutions have been around for the last two hundred years; a promise to oneself that this year is going to be different. Maybe you will start going to the gym more or spend extra time with your family instead of working 24/7. Why do you think the gyms are so packed after the holidays are over? Whatever your resolution is, it placates your mind that this year is going to be your year. It might be. However, these resolutions usually fall apart after a month or so and are forgotten until December 31st of the year following.

Even though it is a fun tradition to try and uphold, thoughts about it started to surface. What if everyone were to uphold certain resolutions throughout the year? Would it make the world happier?

I have never been one to take part in the resolution affair. It seemed like a hollow promise to myself that I was never going to keep. As this year started though, several things came my way that forced me to pause. For example, I am taking this class currently and our first assignment was to watch a news documentary about the world over the last few years. Since I was someone who doesn’t watch the news often, I dreaded the assignment and put it off. However, once I finally forced myself to do it, I realized that like the phrase told to us as kids, “the real world is a scary place.” It doesn’t help either that so much fear and hate have come out of the recent Covid-19 pandemic.

So, this year I decided to make my first resolution. That even though we are going into another year of uncertainty, I will most certainly trust that I have the love and strength of Christ to guide me. Fear surrounds the outcome of the future in this world and God is the opposite of fear. This doesn’t mean that there isn’t going to be suffering because trust me there will be. Although if we look to God then we know that one day our suffering will end and be replaced with the most unimaginable joy. It claims this in 1 Peter 2:21 “For you were called to this because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps.”

I get it, life can be chaotic and scary. I live through that daily, I usually worry too much about what the future holds, where I am going or where I have been. What if I’m not doing what I am supposed to be doing? Your fears may be the same or they may be different. However, as 2022 makes its grand entrance I am going to put my trust and faith in the One who holds me close. I implore all of you to do the same for we don’t know what the future holds or how long our time on this earth will be. Trusting that God has control is the most transparent advice I can give you for this joyful new year.

My name is Lauren Kohut and I am from Colorado Springs. I love all things written. When I am not writing, I am reading or hiking through a backwoods trail in the Colorado mountains and the Arizona foothills. I am a wannabe country girl and if I could I would spend all my Saturdays on a dirt road blasting Scotty McCreery. I love to write and am super excited to be writing for HerCampus!