This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Being away at a huge university, miles away from home, is of course something to be excited about. Independence is your middle name, you are invincible, ready to take on the real worlds, until you are homesick. 

It is a different kind of heart ache when all you want is to be in the comfort of your own home, eating the best food in the world, your mother’s cooking of course, but you are instead what feels like a million miles away stuck with over-priced campus food, a stomach ache from Taco Bell, and a homework load the actual size of the Grand Canyon. Basically, you are a Lope down. This can be an overwhelming amount of feelings, but here are a few things that I have found to be incredibly helpful when my lopes were down about missing my lovely, loving home. 

Cry About It

Suppressing your emotions will only make it worse. Feel sorry for yourself; it’s okay to.  You’re going through a lot and you know what? You deserve that meltdown. Go through the pictures you have on your camera roll, the videos you have, and blast the jams you sing with your loved ones at home. Have the ultimate sad sesh. Crying while doing all that is the most therapeutic. Get it all out of your system, cry til’ you cannot cry anymore. 

Home will always be there.

It is important to understand, home will always be home; it is not going anywhere. You are away, getting an education, and wonderful life-enriching experience. Your home will always be there and I cannot stress this enough, but this opportunity you have right in front of you, will not. So, it is up to you to stay positive and seize each and every day you have here. 

Get Involved

As basic as this advice is, it is crucial. Join clubs that relate with your major or ones that don’t. Do something out of your comfort zone; you will most definitely find a new passion and meet so many other amazing people. Never say no to an opportunity to make more friends or to a social event. No? We do not know her. She is not a part of our vocabulary. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/293226625740148999/ 

Explore the City or State

This is your new home, get to know it, explore, and learn to love it. There is beauty in everything and everywhere. In Sedona, there are these beautiful lakes, and rock slides that you can visit with some friends. It is a grand time and especially refreshing, which we all know is needed in this Arizona heat! Another thing I was amazed at while exploring the city, was I in fact found somewhere that reminded me of home and my family. The café was called “Tres Leches Café” and they have Mexican treat that include conchas, empanadas, and so many more. As for the beverages it ranges from a blended horchata to a coffee dedicated to Frida Khalo. As for the decorations, there were banners, flags, blankets, and even piñatas. The atmosphere was extraordinary, and incredibly home-y. I was definitely surrounded and overwhelmed with a feeling of comfort.

My name is Brianna, I am from East Los Angeles, California, and am currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Government with an Emphasis in Legal Studies at GCU! I also work as a sushi waitress. I love running, fashion, and binge-watching shows.