Hillary Clinton Won the First Presidential Debate – Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

If you failed to tune in to Monday night’s first Presidential debate, you missed quite a show. While some may say that Republican candidate Donald Trump’s attitude and passion led him to a win, I completely disagree. Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton won because of one key reason a lot of people fail to recognize: she did her homework.

Hillary Clinton knew her facts. While Trump at first refused to acknowledge the stances he’s taken in the past (like how he indeed did support the war in Iraq), Clinton kept her cool and continued to hit him with the cold, hard facts. He in fact did support it and had told in many interviews that he did. Eventually, Mr. Trump did acknowledge that maybe he had said something along the lines of supporting the war in Iraq in the past. How ironic.

When Trump kept pushing that murders have gone up in New York, Clinton told him that, well, that is incorrect. They haven’t. But Trump, like a stubborn child, refused to listen. What’s funny to me, and something someone should tell Donald Trump, is that New York Police data has actually attested to Clinton’s stance in agreement that less murders have happened this year. Not only have less murders happened, less shootings have as well. So, while you may seem so adamant and passionate, Mr. Trump, you are flat-out wrong.

One other factor that helped Clinton win the debate was that she knew she had to bring up key concerns regarding Donald Trump and his views. Clinton dominated Trump with heated discussions about topics like national security, telling viewers how Trump is not trustworthy with nuclear weapons. His temperament and comments in the past have clearly made others weary about just how freely he may use nuclear weapons.

She also brought up topics such as his failure to release his tax returns. “It must be something that he’s trying to hide,” Clinton said regarding his taxes. “Every Presidential candidate has released his or her tax returns – so why hasn’t Donald Trump?” Trump then repeatedly claimed that he is facing “a routine audit” that is prohibiting him from actually releasing the documents.  Debate moderator, Lester Holt, noted that the IRS has said he is okay to release any forms that he wishes to release. Like every other excuse, Trump claims he’ll release them when Clinton releases her emails.

Quite an old comeback, if you ask me. Is that the only topic Trump can use to fire back on Clinton?

Overall, Hillary Clinton remained poised, collected, and confident throughout the whole debate. Meanwhile, Donald Trump continuously lashed out, constantly interrupting Mr. Holt and Mrs. Clinton, rolling his eyes, and failing to control his temper. Clinton stuck to her knowledge to back her up and Trump relied on his temper. Clinton came prepared, while Trump stuck to what seems to be his usual routine: improvisation.

To sum this all up, you only need to know one thing: There was only one President standing on stage Monday night – and it wasn’t Donald Trump.

Fourth year Communications major who cares deeply about skin care and Harry Styles.