Style

Her Campus 2018 Fashion Edition Vol. 10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

March 21st was the last time that we talked. Like tracksuits, another trend that continues to be increasingly integrated into the fashion world is flared and wide-leg pants. I think that this fashion statement has singly reshaped fashion by itself because of how far this trend has come. I decided to put these two pieces of fashion into the same category because I believe that it is difficult to expand on one without the other. My first thought when I consider a flare cut is hippie pants. The tight fitted polyester Aztec print pant that really took off in the past few years. Now, this trend has been established in most materials from jean, velvet, and business fabrics. Aside from the typical printed designs, solid colors, pinstriped, floral, frayed, and tracksuit stripped are other widely popular looks. Just like any other favorite trend these pants are flattering and different. Flare pants are basically bell bottoms, whether one chooses to call them that or not. They are usually associated with a more casual look, but the business materials have made it a preference in the workplace.  

This preference is connected with wide-leg pants because they have the same appeal. Some say the value of these looks are associated with the publics new interest in outdated clothing, but it could also be that these looks are the definition of unique and it is ‘in’ to stand out in society. Different from the hippie pants the first thing that comes to mind when I think about wide-leg looks are those business casual pinstriped pants. Unlike the flared trend, these are usually in the market for a more formal occasion. The more popular materials are made out of cotton and linen. The cut has a very dominating look and one begins to separate flare jeans with wide-leg by its complete fit. Designers are now integrating a set with this cut as the public continues to be drawn to this look. With the elevated cut of the wide-legged pant strappy heels tend to look the best and most put together with this look. Although, there are some sneakers that you can get away with pairing with them, it just depends on the pant considering that the trend flaunts its cut and color. Same goes for flared pants; I would say the boldest shoe that can be worn with these pants are those fuzzy slip-on sandals, block heels or short boot pumps. Otherwise, keeping it simple highlights the look even more.

The flare and wide-leg pant trend is a spring/summer look. Therefore I think it is a perfect transition into the warmer months that we are getting into now. Outfits are so creatively put together with this trend because I feel that the designers and public enjoy putting them together. Added embellishments, like belts, drawstrings, buttons, pockets, fringe, suspenders, and slits down the sides of the leg have depicted the trend for all occasions. Sara Sunita, a fashion blogger that I continue to mention, was caught in this look wearing the wide-leg pant. Overall, with all of the new ways that flared and wide-leg pants have added to the fashion world I can’t wait to see how far the trend will come. 2018 has just seen a glimpse of the new ideas that are surfacing for this trend because this LOOK is just getting started. This Fashion Edition marks my tenth publication in HerCampus Magazine and the last official one of the school year. I cannot wait to share with you what’s next. Till next time!

Fashion Edition // A

Her Campus Magazine// Fashion Edition Grand Canyon University. 20. Communication Major/Psychology Minor. Future PR manager for the fashion industry in NYC.