bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/halseys-manic-936961/

The latest studio album from pop alternative princess Halsey proves that third time’s the charm when it comes to writing great records. The singer has been teasing hints about the album the whole week leading up to the initial release last Friday, which has placed her fans in a frenzy to figure out the meaning behind the album, where her inspiration came from, and whether Halsey’s sound is getting a permanent makeover. 

New Jersey native Ashley Frangipane began her music journey with her her debut EP Room 93, full of electric pop, with inspiration drawing from the sounds of Lana Del Rey and Lorde, with a refreshing taste of rap and alternative influence. After her first album Badlands in 2015, the singer became a voice for the “sad teen” that resonates in all of us, reminding us that despite how old we get we are always, in a sense, coming of age. For years, it was easy to separate the persona of Halsey and the girl Ashley. But with the announcement of Manic, Halsey made it a point to make the first track of the album “Ashley”, which she calls a reminder that she’s “still here”. Halsey surprised fans when her first few singles from Manic featured songs with a sound of emotional acceptance rather than her familiar ballads of heartbreak and despair. When questioned about the change of sound, the singer simply stated she “wasn’t angry anymore”. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jan/17/halsey-manic-review-capitol

The specific sound of Manic is not one that could be put into a specific genre. The album really does offer something for every fan, no matter what genre of music they prefer. Whether it’s pop, alternative, R&B, or country, Halsey delivers flawless results.  And although the change in sound was unexpected by fans, reviews for the album remain to be positive.

Tracks that capture a great deal of attention include her interludes, which feature a wide range of musical artists, including Dominic Fike, Alanis Morrisette, and BTS. More personal tracks that capture the hardships Halsey has experienced in her personal life bleed vulnerability without emitting an ounce of regret or shame. The track ”More” explains the singer’s battle with endometriosis and her struggles with her overall reproductive health. The song is a raw look into womanhood and how hope can exist in the most unexpected of places. The last track of the album, titled “929”  after the singer’s birthday and time of birth is an overall look of the singer’s 25 years of life experiencing love, loss, and fame. This track is incredibly moving because it is never quite clear who is singing: Halsey or Ashley. Despite this, the emotion and reflection are both present.

http://3rd-street.net/2019/09/13/halsey-introduces-new-album-manic-with-graveyard/

Halsey’s third album is an honest look into her life as Ashley. It takes her fans back to her humble beginnings while still showing how far she has come in her craft. Give Manic a listen, and be prepared to meet Ashley.

My name is Natalie and I am a Senior at GCU studying English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing and a minor in Literature. My passion is writing contemporary fiction, screenplays, and poetry. I'm a junkie for anything related to art, literature, film, and social justice. In the rare times when I'm not reading or writing, you can find me baking, at a concert, or eating way too many waffles.