Life > Experiences

Gratitude Groove: ‘Tis the Season Tradition!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As far back as I can remember, whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year, the general theme is gratitude. You may wonder how I came to this conclusion, and needless to say, the joyful cheer and gift-giving are not the only reasons. 

When Thanksgiving rolls around, many travel to see their families while others spend it with friends. The gathering has become so routine that Friendsgiving is made for those who want to share a meal outside the family title. By the time it is Christmas, many have made it to their childhood homes or a relative’s house to celebrate the festive season, and some stay long enough for the New Year’s parties. Most of these holidays are spent with some of the most influential people in our lives, and this season allows for a significant share of bonding time and catching up. 

A survey shared by The New York Post states that 77% of surveyors felt more grateful during the holiday season. This aligns with my recent revelation that gratitude increases during the holiday season. 

Do you want to be more grateful this holiday season? There is much to do and much to be during these few weeks, and here are a couple of suggestions on how to power up a grateful attitude.

Prioritize family/friends

When the holidays come around, the year is about to end, and so much has happened. More often than not, the people we see during these times are people we haven’t talked to in a while, and this is the time to hear where Aunt Martha is traveling next and who your long-distance best friend’s new boyfriend is.

Buy some gifts

One way to show people you care about them is by getting them something they’ll love or making it. People appreciate when you get presents for them, and when you see the joyful glint in their eyes, you’ll be grateful you got to make that person happy.

Help out with chores

This can look like joining your dad in the back at the grill or helping your chef-like friend wash the dishes because they decided to cook everything. When you lend a hand to show you’re thankful for the people around you, that’s your way of expressing gratitude. 

Support a cause

It is essential to acknowledge that some people do not get to enjoy these weeks with loved ones for various reasons. A good reminder for this season would be to give them a caring check-in and show them love. This can look like donating to charity, serving at a soup kitchen, building a box for Operation Christmas Child, or simply making a meal for your grieving friend. 

Visit a new place

Seeing new places and experiencing different environments helps us be more grateful for our homes while also helping us appreciate fresh foods and traditions. So whether it is visiting a beach and being thankful for good weather or going to Times Square in New York to watch the New Year’s Eve Ball Drop, both make us develop more gratitude towards fun and adventures.

Take a chance this holiday season and try some of these for some gratitude groove. Happy holidays and an even Happier New Year!

Hi, I'm Redempta Umutoni, I like to call myself a true citizen of the world. I've had the privilege of calling three continents home. To present myself, my journey began in Rwanda, where I took my first steps, and then I was raised in the vibrant culture of Kenya. Currently, I am attending Grand Canyon University, a marvelous and flourishing gateway to endless possibilities. Throughout my life, I've had the incredible opportunity to travel extensively, collecting a tapestry of unforgettable memories along the way. I believe it is my calling to share the boundless beauty and diversity of our planet with the world. As a psychology major, I stand at the edge of an exciting premedical journey. My passions are as diverse as the places I've called home and scale numerous bundles of interests. I am deeply curious about the human mind, and I'm equally committed to making a positive impact on the world and mainly women through medicine. I see these two passions intertwining in a way that allows me to heal not only the body but also the soul. Writing has been my constant companion since childhood and inevitably, my heart and mind are brimming with stories and poems that are eager to be set free. My childhood homes have been treasuring troves of my creative expressions, and now, I'm ready to share these tales with Her Campus and the rest of the world. A global explorer, a future healer, and a storyteller with a mission to inspire and enchant. Join me on this remarkable journey as I unveil the beauty, wisdom, and wonder I have discovered throughout my extraordinary life.