The Good Wife vs The Good Fight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The Good Wife fans rejoice, CBS has finally made a sequel to our favorite 9-season show. If you are anything like me, you absolutely hated the season finale for The Good Wife. If you are anything like me, you spent all 9 seasons glued to your laptop binge watching every 45-minute episode.  So of course, when us Lockhart-Gardner fans found out there was going to be a sequel series after having withdrawals, our expectations were sky high.

The finale of The Good Wife left viewers with far too many questions than any season finale should: What happens to Alicia and Jason’s relationship? Why does it end with her and Peter? Do they stay together after all? And after all those questions about Alicia’s life remained unanswered, we have even more about Dianne’s life and the firm’s success that need answers: Do Dianne and Alicia ever reconcile? What happens to Dianne’s marriage? And of course, what happens to Lockhart-Gardner?

This show has taken its loyal fans on a rollercoaster ride of questions and an infinite amount of problems so, of course, when the finale told us virtually nothing after wasting the past nine years of our lives dedicated to the show, fans were definitely disappointed. However, it still remains our favorite show and guilty pleasure. I have hardly anything bad to say about the show, the turmoil and bad things that came from the show don’t outweigh the love fans have. Being so in love with The Good Wife, I was ecstatic to find out about the series sequel The Good Fight. I thought I would love it just as much as I loved its parent show and I thought it would help give me some answers from that cliff-hanging finale. But, that wasn’t so.

Since The Good Fight aired, there have only been 6 episodes thus far. Unlike our beloved Good Wife, The Good Fight has many new characters, only four iconic characters remain; Dianne, who the show focuses on, David Lee who was only in the first couple, Marissa Gold, and Luca. Without Alicia, The Good Fight is not the same as The Good Wife, I find myself less invested in the character’s lives than I was with Alicia, but it’s still early. Producers introduced a new character, Mia, who is supposed to be the new Alicia in a way. As much as I love The Good Wife and this series, the producers do a really bad job at making Mia as likable to me as Alicia was. To me, they try to hard at making her like Alicia. Also, she’s not like Alicia at all, she’s completely different and, dare I say it… ANNOYING. We don’t know much about her life right now, but we do know she’s lesbian, something Alicia definitely wasn’t. She also is a new, young lawyer where Alicia wasn’t. Yes, she was a new lawyer practicing law again, but she wasn’t fresh out of law school like this new girl. So far I am super disappointed with this character; hopefully, more development goes on with her but for the main character, she is really passive and doesn’t say much in the show. The season so far hasn’t answered any of the questions The Good Wife finale left us hanging with which is also extremely disappointing. However, the more the show goes on, the more they are bringing in minor characters from the old series, like Mike Kresteva. Lucca’s character has changed a lot in this series as opposed to The Good Wife series, I’m not sure I like her as much now as I did in The Good Wife. She is more dominant and angry than she was on The Good Wife where she was Alicia’s good friend and confidant. Right now, Dianne’s life and the fate of her marriage has been developing and has peeked my interest enough to enjoy the shows, but I’m hopeful that more will come from The Good Wife series to be incorporated into the new series. This show has got some big shoes to fill so of course, I probably went in with too high of expectations. I look forward to seeing how the show and characters progress, but right now, I miss Alicia. 

A strong believer in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!