Gen Z’s Obsession With the Twilight Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Ahh, Twilight. It’s arguably one of my favorite sagas out there, and I have no shame in saying that. I first read the books in middle school, then watched the movies a few years ago, and since then, I have rewatched them more times than I can count. Twilight gives me a sense of comfort- but it’s not just me who feels this way. Since the first book was written in 2005 and movie released in 2008, Twilight has become a cult classic. Even almost 20 years after its publication, Gen Z remains still obsessed with the franchise. But why? 

Relevant CAst

The Twilight cast members are still relevant and doing projects in 2024. The film’s lead actress, Kristen Stewart, starred in other movies after the franchise, such as Charlie’s Angels, Living for the Dead, and Snow White and the Huntsman. According to an article from E! News, she is set to begin her directing career and is even engaged. In addition, her costars, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner, are also doing their own projects. Robert recently starred in The Batman, where he played a stellar role, and he is set to star in its sequel. Behind the scenes, he is expecting a child with singer/actress Suki Waterhouse. Taylor Lautner hosts a podcast with his wife (Also Taylor Lautner) called “The Squeeze.” During mid-2023, he was in one of Taylor Swift’s most recent music videos, “I Can See You,” and even appeared at her Kansas City Eras Tour show on stage! The cast’s popularity draws attention to their old works, sparking film engagement.

Plot and Jokes

While Twilight may not have won any Oscars, it certainly won in memorable scenes and quotes. The movies are notorious for questionable CGI and memorable scenes and lines (Loca…). The more people laugh, talk, and joke about the film, the more popularity it gains. Also, the plot is engaging. A love triangle with vampires and werewolves? Yes! Twilight gains popularity through talk from others and social media. It’s a movie not to be taken seriously, so it’s fun and easy to watch. It’s too iconic not to watch the films.

Aesthetics

Lastly, Twilight is popular due to the aesthetics of the film. The style of Twilight is very distinct- blue film, dark setting, large trees and clouds, and the iconic sets (the Cullen house, Bella’s truck and bedroom, the town of Forks, etc). Twilight is an eye-pleasing film to watch; it’s aesthetic! It is a perfect watch for a rainy day or a night with the girls. Also, the soundtrack of Twilight is particular as well. Many famous artists such as Christina Perry, Bruno Mars, and Bon Iver are featured in the film. Each soundtrack from the film correlates to a scene, which makes the film enjoyable for visual and audible audiences.

The Twilight Saga Edward and Bella
Summit Entertainment

Twilight is a staple in our modern-day pop culture. As it continues to maintain its relativity even almost 20 years after the first book was published, there’s no doubt that Twilight will be sinking its teeth into society for a little longer.