This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

I have been single for the last few years, so I have spent many holidays without a significant other. It can feel lonely, especially when you’re scrolling Instagram and it feels like everyone else in the world is in a relationship. Valentine’s Day is one of the more crucial holidays for couples, and it feels like consumerism is screaming in your face that you don’t have a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, or wife.  

Thankfully, the girlies have coined a new term so that the holiday is more inclusive. I’m sure most of you have heard of Galentine’s Day, but if you haven’t, it was created for women to express their love and gratitude to celebrate their friendships.  

I love to see the Valentine’s Day merchandise that gets put out in pharmacies, grocery stores, and clothing stores, even if it is usually way too early. Who doesn’t love pink and red hearts, teddy bears, and heart-shaped candy?  

Galentine’s is a great occasion to spend quality time with the girls. Friends have brought me flowers and chocolate on the special day. Here are a variety of ideas, events, and activities that can be used for the lovely holiday: 

Bake Your Heart Out 

Sugar cookies aren’t just for Christmas. Grab some cookie dough and heart-shaped cookie cutters from the store and spend the day creating adorable cookies. You can make frosting by simply using water, powdered sugar, and food coloring to customize and decorate however you’d like.  

Wine and Dine 

Going out to dinner with friends is one of my favorite things to do. For couples, Valentine’s Day evenings are often spent at a restaurant, so why not do the same with your dear friends? It’s a special occasion that occurs just once a year, so I say you treat yourself. You never know, maybe you can score a Valentine’s Day-themed cocktail.  

Movie Marathon 

Speaking for myself, romance movies are one of the only things that have kept me in the dating scene. Real-life dating can be bleak, and I find myself needing to watch someone else fall in love so that I can hold on to hope. You can have a movie night with the girls or have some quality alone time. Here’s a list of the movies I find most comforting: 

Valentine’s Day

On top of this being a holiday-themed movie, one of my favorite things about this one is that it stars Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner as a couple in high school right around the time they were dating in real life.  

When Harry Met Sally

This movie is a classic romance that I think everyone should watch. Released in 1989, the outfits are to die for if you enjoy retro fashion.  

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

I have watched this heartwarming movie several times and I am always left in a better mood. If you’re in the mood to binge-watch, this movie has two sequels.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

The early 2000s knew how to make a rom-com, and I love watching this romance between Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey.  

13 Going on 30

Another classic early 2000s rom-com that portrays friendship, childhood, and love in a unique way.

10 Things I Hate About You

Not quite 2000s, but a rom-com released in 1999 with the talented late Heath Ledger.

Crazy, Stupid, Love

This movie has several love stories, which makes it entertaining, but my favorite thing about it is Ryan Gosling. There are lots of other familiar faces in this comedy, including Emma Stone, Steve Carell, Joey King, and Julianne Moore. 

Honorable mentions: The Proposal, While You Were Sleeping

Whether you spend the holiday with a partner, celebrate Galentine’s Day, or do absolutely nothing at all, I hope everyone has a happy Valentine’s Day!  

Lauren is a professional writing student at GCU and will graduate with her bachelor's degree in Spring 2024. She loves skateboarding, watching films, doing most anything with her friends and spends her summers at her favorite beaches in Malibu.