Wellness

Fun Beach Reads: 3 Great Summer Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Summer break is finally here with endless possibilities of unforgettable memories to make with family and friends, whether that is staying home relaxing, enjoying time on the beach, or going on an adventure and traveling to a new country. Regardless of what your summer is looking like, it’s always nice to pause and enjoy a nice read. Here are three fun summer reads that are a great way to kick off the summer season.

Dial A for Aunties by Jessie Q Sutanto
“Dial A” for Aunties is a hilarious mystery that will have you gripped by the story and rolling on the floor. The book also provides great representation centered around an immigrant Chinese-Indonesian family. The story follows the main character Meddelin Chan that works at an island resort on the California coastline. The story has quite the bizarre beginning in that Meddelin has just accidentally killed her blind date, and with the help of Meddelin’s mom and aunts, they work to hide the body. However, things proved to be tricky when the body was accidentally shipped in a cake cooler for a billionaire’s wedding. On top of everything else, a past love of Meddelin’s has come back into the picture amidst all the chaos and turmoil. This gripping book should be on everyone’s reading list this summer and is perfect for reading by the pool.

One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle
“One Italian Summer” is Rebecca Serle’s most recent release that, is a magical realism contemporary set in Italy. The main character Katy had just received news that her mother had passed away at a time when Katy needed her mother the most. Before her mother’s death, they had planned on a mother-daughter trip to Positano, which was a small town that Kathy’s mother, Carol, spent time in before meeting her father. Deciding to travel to Positano, Kathy is met with beautiful blue waters, breathtaking cliffsides, and welcoming residents. During the course of Kathy’s trip, she begins to learn and gain a deeper sense of whom her mother was before becoming a wife and mother. This is a phenomenal read exploring themes of discovering oneself, and with the setting of the book in Italy, you are sure to soar through this book.

Ariadne by Jennifer Saint
This read is perfect for those that are obsessed with Greek mythology as this is a retelling of the Greek goddess Ariadne. Ariadne is the Princess of Crete, the daughter of Pasiphae and King Minos. Due to the Gods’ anger toward King Minos, Ariadne’s mother endured a lot of suffering, and because of this, Ariadne vowed that she would never be a pawn for the Gods or for man. However, she soon crosses paths with Theseus, the Prince of Athens, and is thrown into a situation where she may have to betray everything she has ever known. This book is utterly stunning, with a beautiful writing style that will transport you to a world where monsters are real, the Gods watch above, and heroes determine their destinies. This is a must-read that you will not regret.

Hi! I’m Lauryn DeGraff! I’m 21 years old and an Arizona native. I’m currently a junior majoring in business analytics with a minor in marketing! My passions reside in reading, writing, fashion, traveling, and being with my family. I’m an absolute music snob, but my first love of music lies in 90’s R&B and Hip Hop. I hope that my writing can serve as being fun, encouraging, and relatable. I look forward to meeting new people and making unforgettable memories. I’m so excited to be writing for Her Campus and to see what is to come in the future!